Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 meg hard drive, $3,495

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, May 7, 2006.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

WOW! what a deal!:haha:

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Christ. Worst yet, I not only REMEMBER MP/M but used to install it ... actually, a propietary goofy 8/16-bit version called Concurrent CP/M ... erk. Showing my digital age there =))

-- A

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my dad was into 'puters back then. I remember when we got a 16kb upgrade for our Apple II+.... sure enough, it had 16 memory chips on it. 1k per chip.. cutting edge! Our first 5.25" floppy drive cost my dad $300 in 1979-80 dollars. lol! We got our first modem (110/300 baud) in 1981 I believe it was... BBS's were the shizzle. I really did like computers back then. There was a glorious period (ie pre-Mac etc) where there were hardly any idiots or morons in the computer scene or online. These days... like everywhere else in society, they are the vast majority.

j

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have one of these...still works. Came with Frogger, Pole Position, Missile Command, Spaced Invaders, Pac Man and a few others...

[​IMG]

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My first computer was a Compaq 286 Portable. Portable was a relative term, since this thing was the size & weight of a suitcase packed by a woman who's going away for a month. Sucker was like 50+lbs... The keyboard clipped into the case and covered the 5" monochrome green CRT screen and the drives - a 5.25", a 3.5", and a 30MB HDD. I think I was in 6th or 7th grade when we got it. OS was DOS 3.22...

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Wow , I am old . I remember the slow ass tape drive you could get for that . We had one of those , a vic-20 , a Commodore 64 , a Ti-49a .... my Dad bought a new one when ever they came out . Ended up getting rid of them all , and running a Commodore , upgraded as far as it could go , and using GEOS until the early 90's ... when we went 486 and windows ( the 486 case is in my closet , I can't part with it ) :D

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Dad was an IBM lifer. We had Pong when it first came out, the first VCR that was the size of a fridge on its side with top eject and giant buttons like a cassette player. And the first IBM PC where I used to play those text computer games like Zork and others. I remember getting my first PC and Dad saying "40 megabyte hard drive? You will never fill that thing up".

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

640 kilobytes of memory is all you'll need!

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My PDA has 3GB. Crazy.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah its funny to look back on PC "power" back in the day and laugh. My calculator has a motorola 68000 CPU running at 14Mhz. When it comes to number crunching power, it could own any PC built up until 86-ish... and its just a calculator! ;)

j

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Atari 400..... that was my first PC. It had the best videogames (more true to the arcade versions than Atari 2600 or even the Atari 5200 systems)

I eventually got tired of the membrane keyboard and spent the BIG money to upgrade to the 800XL, so I could still use all my old game cartridges. The 800XL had Atari BASIC built right in, so I didn't even need the BASIC cartridge anymore!!!! I had the cassette drive initially, then got a 5.25" 360K floppy for Christmas one year (big money!) eventually, I even got the LQ printer too...... man, I was stylin' for 1983!!!!

If you REALLY want to talk about the old tech.....I still have a TIMEX SINCLAIR around my house. (About the size of a small book, membrane keyboard with about 5 functions per key) 1KB of RAM....(YES, ONE!!)...originally ordered as a kit that you had to solder together for $99. The 16KB memory pack was a breathtaking $399. I still have the original box, newsletter and registration card!!!

:usaflag:

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Well, I didn't want to give up my age, but my Dad had wire recorders, not tape, wire that we could record music and voice on. It was state of the art when he got rid of the reel to reel wire for reel to reel tape. Ampex and TEAC come to mind as the tape ones.