Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 Ply 15" Tires?????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chalet2506, Sep 14, 2006.

1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run 10ply commercial grade tires on my 16" F250 wheels and haven't had even a flat since I started using them 6 years ago. I do quite a bit of brush running, so that's remarkable in my opinion. In less than 3000 miles on my Blazer, I've stuck a mesquite thorn through a sidewall on one tire, and punctured two more sidewall's on a broken mesquite stump. Called my tire dealer and he said he doesn't carry any 10 ply 15" tires. WTF?

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

get some 16.5 rims and to a 12 or 14 pr truck tire, then THEN!! imagine! then if you do put a hole in it you can have section repairs done super easy, consumer tires nobody wants to repair anything outside of the crown. ive pulled out antlers, rebar, thorns, nailgun strips, and put the tire back into commision.

oh WTF? i have no idea why they dont carry them.

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have run ground hawg on my blazer for about 4 years with out a flat, and I drive around my grandpa's cattle pasture with mesquites all the time.

4. chalet2506

Looks like your running better tires than these Pirrelli "Scorpion AT" that came on my truck. What's a pr tire?

5. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

pr is ply rating

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

just go with 16's. the reason you dont find em is because 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks have been running 16" rims for decades. 15's wont clear the brakes on a lot of these rigs.

7. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Not much street driving, but on the farm we ran airplane tires with no air pressure. The 30 plys held the entire weight of the vehicle.

8. chalet2506

So basically I need to find some 6 hole / 16" wheels that were made before 1988 before I buy new tires.

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

why before 88? maybe a backspacing issue? the 6 lug pattern on chevy wheels has remained unchanged to this day.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

6 lugs ,but small hole!

Newer 6 lug rims (88-up) are the same 6 bolt pattern,but the center holes are too small to fit over the front hubs without modifications..:doah: :(

There are 15" tires available with 8,10,or more ply ratings..they are used on Bobcats,Forklifts,Aircraft,and other industrial uses...we had some 12 ply ones on a forklift at the junkyard --they were nearly impossible to remove and install on the rims!..felt like solid rubber!..and they were so stiff on the sidewalls you had to use a gauge to see if any air was in them..even "flat",they appeared normal,until we put weight on the forks!..

I doubt any tire over 8 ply rating would be of much use on the highway though..and they are quite costly..it was nearly 200 bucks each ten years ago for the forklift tires..I think they were 7.00/15's,and bias ply to boot!..nothing you'd want to go 70 mph on!..:crazy:

11. chalet2506

Found some 16" oem wheels off a friend of mines 2003 Silverado. I'll find somebody around here to recenter them and then I'll be in bidness. I'll take a rough ride over flat tires any day.