Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 plys better than 6?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Md mudder, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

Sep 29, 2000
    just ordered 10ply 39.5 tsl I wanted the 42's but they only come in 6 ply, salesman said they have had a lot of 42's come back lately with problems so I let him talk me into 39.5's what do you all think....... full of [censored]? also said 10 ply's have longer tread life

<font color=green>Ryan</font color=green>
    <font color=red> 84 pickup 454/400/208 <font color=red>
    <font color=blue>79blazer 400 <font color=blue>
  2. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

Feb 6, 2001
    Havn't had any problems with my 42s yet, but really havn't ran them too much yet. Naturally a tire with more plys will be stronger, but it'll also be a much harder &amp; less conforming tire.
    I must say I love discount tire though, got road hazzard on my 42s.

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!
  3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    I like 8 or 10 ply . they are stiffer than 6 ply but I have popped 6 ply rated tires on sharp rocks and its really a bummer to be high up on the side of a mountain or in the middle of a rock garden with a flat. Also my 8 &amp; 10 ply tires wear a lot better than 6 ply.
    But what you gain in strength and tred life. you may loose a little in traction. The 6 ply will stick a little better.
    If your mostly playing in the mud, sand, Or need the traction for competition 6 plys would be good. But on the rocks, Flying across the desert, and street driving I would go with 8 or 10 ply. For all around use I think they are the best.