Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10" subs suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by CaptCrunch, May 23, 2001.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to jump down from the 12" RF DVC's I have and go to 2 10" subs. Mostly it is because the space over the wheel wells for my boxes don't quite have enough spacer for 12's. I run a 1200watt Profile California series amp which might not be the best according to some standards... I did blow out my first set of DVC's w/ it. I was surprised. Thinking about the new RF HX2's... Other thoughts might be Kicker Competition's. I dunno... I just would like something will sound good in a sealed inclosure w/ the amp I have. Any suggestions would be great... thanks in advance

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

2. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming
    Re: 10\" subs suggestions?

capt, the reason speakers "blow" is because they arent getting enough power and the voice coils burn up. having too much power is always better than not enough. your california amp is not putting out anywhere near 1200 rms, and even if by some miracle it can do that peak we all know peak doesnt mean squat. your best plan would be to get a new amp like a rockford or orion or some other quality brand. a really good amp can make even middle of the road subs sound good.

friends romans countrymen, lend me some parts

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

he2's are nice... but over powering subs is just as bad as underpowering them... turn the amp's gain down... as for 10's... rf or jl are nice.... then again i like the ppi pro's as well... flat piston drives... or if you have the cash go with eclipse titaniums.... (very expensive, very impressive)... just stay away from cheap subs...

Prembird

If it aint loud then turn it up!

4. CaptCrunch

Anyone online sell JL... I have heard great things about them but never seen them anywhere around here for some reason.

I took them back to audio kind and they said they never have seen DVC's that messed up... you'd shake it and it was like there were marbles in there. They said too much power to do that much damage. I turned down the gain and hooked the subs back just plain jane instead of series and they have lived.

-Mikey

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking of getting some MTX subs for mine. I like the sound. They were real nice and smooth. I listen to them in a sealed box. Just my .02 cents. [​IMG]

Imagine a cowgirl twirling a rope.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. MUD_SPEC

MUD_SPEC Registered Member

I use to be an installer, so I've heard just about all of them and am a firm believer in JL's.

7. CaptCrunch

Anyone know a good place to get JL subs... I haven't had much time to surf around.

-Mikey

8. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

I would go with some 10" alpine type r's. They sound very nice, i think better than jl's. I have also talked to many people and most of them like the type r's over the jl's. Just my 2 cents.

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with Muddin4fun.... I like the smooth mellow taste and aroma.... err, I like the sound of MTX's, and they have a whole mess of statistics on their websites. Circuit city sells MTX 4000 series, and about once a month, they do a 2 for 1 deal, which is the ideal time to buy them. ( its how I got the 10's, and 12's for my truck)

I work with computers, and electronics and whatnot for work, and it seems to me that underpowering a sub would be far less dangerous then overpowering it... Heat comes from lots of electricity, and resistance, which as any overclocker knows happens when you crank the power to anything, without cooling.

the MTX's I have are 4010 for the 10's, and 4012 for the 12's.

-Rich

Visualize an atlantic 442 Steam engine running at full tilt here...

10. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

its actually not so much as underpowering per se, its more about using an amp that is too small to produce the SPL that you want and overdriving the amp. When the amp is overdriven it begins to clip the signal, causing distortion, which then toasts the voice coil.

Scot in KC, MO.
    Black 87 Chevy K5
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

11. CaptCrunch

I'm not a big alpine fan at all... Much like RF now... they just try and do way too much! I got a good deal on the Alpine 6x9's in my truck and they sound like absolute $%#!. Alipine was the crap back maybe 8 yrs ago... I think their quality of product has fallen bigtime. RF still has decent subs IMO and I heard some great reviews of theNew ones. MTX&lt; JL, and Kicker Competition have all been considerations.

-Mikey

12. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Ok couple things, low power doesn't kill subs. It CAN kill tweeters and mids etc. But low power doesn't kill subs. The way low power kills subs is the amp over works, clips and fries the voice coils. This doesn't happen(at least not very often with subs). You've already got the profile so keep it, really they aren't bad amps. Better than some, not as good as others. But most amps are that way [​IMG] ANY WAY...

I'd look into RF HE2's over the HX2's. HX2's sound sloppy to me and take alot of power. You hear the motor on the HX2's alot more than in other subs as well. May wanna look into JL audio as others have suggested. Image Dynamics are a good bet. Audiomobile wouldn't be bad, a tad pricey though.

http://www.matrixcaraudio.com might have JL. I can't remember.

JL audio and Rockford and a few others like that aren't licensed to be sold over the internet so be forewarned that you more than likely won't get a warranty.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have two 10" MTX's in a sealed box....all I can say is they are sweet! Get them! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

14. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

as to the image dynamic subs.. they do sound sweet..solid sub but... they have a problem with the voice coils goin out on them.. I have talked to 4 different shop owners that use to carry them.. they all say the same thing... sound great.. go out really easy.. i had a 15 that i had to send in under warranty.. no burt smell .. not locked up.. but come to find out the voice coil had burnt in.. be it small burn.. but it was enough.. The dealers i talked to droped the line because of this.. they where getting killed with warranty work from them. So if i was you i would stay away from image dynamic.. atleast from my personal experance...

Prembird

If it aint loud then turn it up!