Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 to 14 bolt axle swap, axle relocation and drive shaft length ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87GMCJimmy, Jan 29, 2003.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Just wondering is anyone who's swapped there 10 bolt to a 14 bolt knows how much change there is in drive shaft length? When installing the 14 bolt can I relocate the axle back an inch and a half and still have enough spline engagement with the stock driveshaft? I also have ORDs 4inch shackle flip. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Or do I have to leave it in the same place until I get a new longer driveshaft?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

On my 2.5" lift on my truck I would say yes there would be enough. The pinion on the 14bff is longer and sits farther forward, so moving it back would just counteract the longer pinion. I don't know how much longer the pinion on the 14 is to the 10, but with my slip yoke 208 and 2.5" lift I could have relocated it back 1.5".

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

88 SWB.Went from 10B to 12B to 14FF,only had to change u-joint.2in add a leaf Still worked.Shakel flip upped lift to 6-7 in,Still worked,but,worried bout full droop. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif