Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10* wedges broke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grindkings, Dec 30, 2004.

1. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

I installed a 4inch RC lift about 3 months ago. All springs. However, today while changing my gear oil. I noticed that the 10* wedges in the back where missing.(the little thinks onthe bottom of the springs, about 5-6 inchs long.) The right side was gone completely and the left was craked through! What an i to do about with. There is about a 1/2 inch gap between the spring and the axle. I'm not sure how they broke or what to do about it?

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would give RC a call and see what they will do about it since you just installed it 3 months ago. That is what I would do if it was me. That is just a small thing and it shouldn't be a hassle to get another set from them.

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

same thing happened to a friend, RC 6"lift

I had an extra shim so I gave it to him.

If its the shim that's bolted to the spring pack, you gotta take the spring apart. If you're doin that I recommend you put back a zero rate or something better than but broke to begin with.

4. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

5. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

I contacted RC today. They where very frinedly and said that they would ship me a new set. yea! Now just got to install them..not really sure how? Do i have to compress the springs and take them apart?

6. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I would advise a zero rate or the steel shims, if the shims from RC broke before the will probably break again.

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Nice to hear they didn't tell ya to just take a flyin leap though.

8. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

It's really easy to replace them. Unbolt the spring from the axle. Lower the axle out of the way a few inches. Then I just put a C clamp on either side of the axle pin to hold it together. Unscrew the axle pin, replace and take off the clamps.

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I don't care for aluminum shims. I've had nothing but bad luck out of them. My preference is for steel. Take a close look at the perches on your axle. Are they perfectly flat? You can weld steel plate to the tops of the perches if they aren't perfect. If they are really bad, replace them. Also, if your Ubolts aren't tight enough, that can kill the shims. I would use steel shims and retorque the ubolts after a few hundred miles and again after a few thousand.

To swap shims, put C clamps on the spring pack before you loosen the Ubolts. Then take the U bolts loose, then lower the axle away from the spring, then take the center pin loose, install the new wedge, and put it back together. You will want to have a spare center pin before starting this process because they can be hard to reuse. Also, do it one side at a time for ease of installation.

10. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Glad to see they hooked you up with another set. If I have something go worng with a product I just contact them and tell them what happened and usually they ship off a new one for me. Had a problem with one of the Explorer Pro Comp Stainless Steel Braided lines and instead of one, they just sent me a whole new set of brake lines. :grin: Use a C clamp to keep the springs together and unbolt and replace.