Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

100% electrical!?!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Berlinetta00, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Berlinetta00

Berlinetta00 Newbie

Ive got an 82 diesel blazer, and NOTHING works!!! The previous owner screwed up the electrical so badly that the courtesy lights wouldn't work if you ran 40,000 volts through them. First of all, the glow plug relay is new, so is the ignition switch and the starter. None of the shop manuals tells me which color wire is the "always hot" wire to the ignition. Whatever color it is, this vechicle does not have it. I think I got the starter wired up right, but Im not sure. I can't tell what needs to go where because the ignition seems not to work either (something to do with the missing "hot" wire???) so far, the only thing that works is the glow plug relay when I jump it directly to the positive terminal on the battery.

Can anyone help tell me how I need to wire the ignition to get the thing running??? I think the most important thing is the hot wire running to the ignition, but how the heck can I tell???

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

if i was YOU, id buy a painless wiring harness and go nuts. they are complete. expensive, but complete.

NITRO

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

yup, best thing to do is start fresh, or else you will be dealing with this Sh!t all the time, something new will always pop its ugly little head out,

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I don't know about that painless wiring sh!t. I bought a harness from them through summit. When I opened the box there wasn't a single end on any wire. All the ends were in a box and you had to crimp that stuff on or something. I can make that harness. I boxed it right back up and sent it back. Went to the junk yard and got harnesses from some trucks of the same year. laid them out and Made one good one out of the three with not a single cut wire(sodered and heat shrunk). all that for like 40.00 bucks and a couple evenings in front of the TV. Painless my arse... Just my opinion.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i have never delt with Painless, I meant to say just start fresh, with or without painless..... 40 bucks is a lot better deal then the painless setup,

6. Berlinetta00

Berlinetta00 Newbie

If im going to start over, then I will just wire it all my self. It is a nightmare in there currently. There are (seriously, I counted them!!) 19 holes drilled in the firewall, half with cut and disintigrated wires in them, the other half are empty. I think Ill put in new gauges (the truck currently has no dash, and no gauges, so what the hell) and new lights on it anyways. What would help would be the engine management diagrams and the charging system diagrams. I think (since its not for the road anyways) it will be easier to wire everything my self, as long as I have the proper diagrams. The ones in chiltons are unuasally unhelpful, as they fail to mention which wire is the "hot" wire to the ignition, and they also fail to mention the wiring aspects that appear on the dual-battery diesels. So far, I put in the new ignition switch and instad of mounting it on the steering coloum, I mounted it behind the dash and used a switch to control the ignition position. So long to the ignition key.

If anyone has the info for the charging and starting systems on the Diesels, I would be overjoyed to see them, as well as find out which wire is the hot for the ignition switch. What a pain. Thanks guys for all your help theough, I don't know where Id be without people like you.