Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$1000 a good price for complete 5.3L with 55k?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

Finally got a price out the fella I'm hoping to buy a 5.3L off of. He wants $1000 for the complete engine (all accessories, hoses etc), all the wiring (engine harness, ECM, and as much of the cab harness as I need / want) and exhaust if it'll fit my truck.

The engine has 55 000 miles on the clock, and ran like a top with only very mild piston slap for about 10 seconds on a cold morning. The reason for parting the truck is cause he dropped his wheels off the side of the road, then got launched into the other ditch when he tried to pull back onto the road, rolling it a couple of times.

What do you guys think, fair price, or should I try and work him down a bit?

2. darryl

darryl Registered Member

good price up here if you get all you said
    do not worry about the cold start noise i have heard lots of 5.3s noisy on startup

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Hell yes! worth every penny for all that, however I would still see if I could get it for less.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. A lot of those engines make a slight "cold start knock". GM mostly states its nothing to worry about. People just worry about it anyway. My 97 even does it... that worries me though since it didn't do it when I bought it.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

My buddy had a 5.3 in his suburban and it slapped on pretty much every cold start. Sounds like a good deal, rig up everything and have a good reliable motor with late model fuel injection. I like that.

6. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

yea they pretty much all slap along with some of the 6.0s.. gm said its nothing to worry about

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ha, this thing's got nothing on my Vortec 4.3 for piston slap... Now thats a nasty noise that I definitely worry about, lol

Oh, by the way, I offered 800 for the engine and electrical. I won't be able to use the exhaust less the 02 sensors... We'll see what he has to say tonight when he gets the email...

I'm really looking forward to dropping this sucker in after the bodywork is done, its gonna be so nice having an engine I don't have to waste my time tuning up, lol

8. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

800 cdn? thats not bad at all. I gave 500$ for a 02 5.3 with 2wd 4l60e with whole engine harness. It had about 81K miles on it. If you are going to do the harness work yourself, disassemble the whole thing and start over. I tried to keep everything pinned in and all, but ended up labling it all and pulling it apart...best thing i did for it so far. Theres TONS of information on LS1tech.com and the like. With everything that is offered nowadays, you can honestly pretty easily swap everything over, esp if you have a TBI truck. They make fuel pumps that bolt in place of stock ones that flow what you need, motor mount adaptors, throttle cables, etc to make the swap super easy.