Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$1000 for a cage installed at 4wheelers supply. wtf

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Jul 22, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

went down to 4 wheelers to get a quote on a cage installed in truck. all i want is somthing inside the cab that will save my life if i roll. nothin fancy, just like a 6 point cage and i asked one of the guys at 4ws and he said alittle over $1000. does that seem right. i was thinkin like mabye $500 at the most. i could just get one outta jegs for like 200$. and if i were to get one outta jegs is there anyone in AZ that would help me install it. i hardly have any welding experiance and i would pay for the beverages. i probably wont be buying anytime soon. just given a heads up. thx

2. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

Considering the price of materials these days, and also the fab time envolved with building a cage from scratch, i think 1k is a fair price. Reason the Jegs kit is so much cheaper ,is because its a generalized cage that the company that builds them can mass produce the kits.

3. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Go see John at Hunter Offroad in Tempe, He won't charge you that much.

4. down4thakrown

will do thx. i even offered to help with bending thed tubes and placing them to lower the price and he said he'd charge me more.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That doesn't sound like a terrible price but not a good one either. 4 Wheelers Supply (on Washington) is a good shop but is a little proud of the work they do there. There are lots of fab shops in town and I am sure with some searching and talking you can get a good cage for a better price.

Harley

6. down4thakrown

thats the one i went too. but i was thinking about it if i would of talk to the guy who actually does the work i probably would of got a better price.

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Seems steep to me, a guy in my club whom I don't get along with very well (therefore I don't get a discount) will do an exo on my fatass truck for $1k.

8. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I have a guy boxing my frame and full cage ( a nice custom one) for 1,100 dollars :woot: :woot: :saweet: :grin:

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Grab a rock, throw it. Find the rock and chances are that you are within 25 feet of another fab shop. I think there is a 1 to 1 ratio of fab shops to grocery stores in phoenix.

As for the 1K price that is about right. Most shops wanted around 800+ to do my basic cage 3 years ago. There are a lot of options in phoenix and price it around. Don't just go for the lowest price or the coolest looking cage either.

BTW do not use the words toys by troy in any part of this friggin post :mad: (if that idea comes up)

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

HAHAHAHA :D Sounds like the guy is a realist.

Anytime someone offers to "help" a pro, the result is a project that takes twice as long as if you just let them do it themselves. His comment about charging you more if you help is his not-so-subtle way of telling you that...and I certainly wouldn't blame them for not wanting you in their shop trying to use their benders and notchers.....

My guess is that you have never built a rollcage before (or even seen one built)...it takes a LONG time to build one that fits well and is designed properly. Let's not forget, part of what you pay for is the fact that the shop has the proper tools to do the job (which you probably don't) and the experience that allows them to build it without wasting a bunch of tube (mistakes cost a LOT of $$$ with the current price of tube).

Just some food for thought...

11. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

toys by troy is a good way to waste money :haha: and the same with hunter. 4 wheelers does very good work and 1k is about the price that u will pay in az for a cage from a fab shop. carnage offroad is also a good shop to go to.

12. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As the saying goes: The flat rate for labor is $80 an hour. If you watch...it's double, and if you help...it's triple. :haha:

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Chris is a friend of mine and that I have wheeled with before and I have seen his truck and his work. It is good quality work.

Harley

15. 79wheeler

79wheeler Registered Member

looking for a welder

hey my buddy is in to fab work thats all he does.. hes going to put my jegs cage together for 175...so Im sure he be glad to help.. :D porkydanny@aol.com

16. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status