Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

102" whip with spring mount

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by bryguy00b, Sep 11, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

102\" whip with spring mount

i got one on a spring mount. thing is i dont know how you hook a wire to the thing for the cb!? i wanna run it around the street and then just switch it for the small one i got on now for trails...that one is just a magnet mount one with a base and cable..how or what do u connect the 102 with!??

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: 102\" whip with spring mount

Its been awhile but IIRC doesn't the spring mount have a place for the coax? The 102" whip screws onto the spring and you could just swap antennas at will but you will have to recalibrate your CB afterwards.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It sounds like you just have the antenna and the spring. The spring screws onto a ball mount that attaches it all to the vehicle and provides the electrical connections.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

There should be a passthrough at the very end of the spring. You might need a male to male connector though.

I feel like such a redneck with my 102" cb...

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i have the whole thing but theres no wire for it..im a little confused..any one got a picture of the wires that suppost to come from the ball mount?

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

The coax connector has to be cut off of one end to attach it to the ball mount. Strip a good amount of the rubber off the outside of the coax after the end is cut off. Then take all the exposed copper wire on the outside, twist into a single wire, and crimp a ring connector onto it. Then crimp a different ring connector onto the center copper wire in the middle of the coax. Now the center wire will attach to the middle of the ball mount with that little screw in the package, and the other wire that you combined from the exterior wires has to be bolted to your bumper (aka ground). After your all done, cover all the exposed copper with liquid electrical tape stuff.
    Hope that makes sense!

EDIT -
    Polaris has a great pic of how to hook it up...
    http://polariswebdesign.com/trucks/antenna.jpg