Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

102" whip

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by berg76, Jul 9, 2003.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

102\" whip

Looking to get a 102" whip. Just wondering if anyone has had problems with hitting things. Like overpasses and signs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif im on 35s with a 4" lift right now but going to 6"/40s in a few months. Do the stainless ones hold up to the beating? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

thanks
    jason

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Re: 102\" whip

Overpasses shouldn't be a huge problem. Most of them are high enough you wouldn't hit them. Plus the 102" whip tends to lay back quite a bit at highway speeds so you have even more room to play with.

The biggest pain is going through drive-thru's at resturants and banks etc. It will slap the roof everytime.

The whip will take a lot of abuse. The worst you might do is bend it out of shape a little if you hit something hard enough. A couple of pairs of pliers or 2 strong hands will normally put it back in shape if it bugs ya'.

The weakest link is normally the mount. If you have a spring under the antenna and/or use a large heavy duty mount then you should be good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have one and like to run it when I'm out in the sand but on the trails here in oregon we have to many low trees so it likes to slap back and hit the roof /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i havent had many problems, like mudhog, mostly just low overhangs around town, and low trees....

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i have one and like to run it when I'm out in the sand but on the trails here in oregon we have to many low trees so it likes to slap back and hit the roof /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The club I run with forbids 102 wips on the trail. Max antena is something like 42 inches. The reason being is the danger of it poping somebody that is a spectator. There was a guy standing besiced a trail when a passing truck got bouncing around and the antenna popped him in the face. Layed him open like a knife.

6. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 102" antenna and was thinking about how to mount it. I want to bolt to the bumper at the corner (so I can still use the tailgate /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ) and then "latch" it to my hardtop with something stretchy (I'm thinking the really hard rubber tie-downs). That way it won't get too far from the truck and then it won't snap back against my top all the time. Anyone try something like this or can readily poke holes in the idea. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. rebelk5frk

So you want something to keep the 102" whip from flopping around.... if you mount it on the bumper like you said you can use a tennis ball (or any other rubber type thing) to protect the sheet metal from the antenna. Then if you want to just keep it from going everywhere get you some high strength fishing line and tie it to the antenna about where it's even with the top of the roof and run a couple of lines to the bolts where the top meets the cab.

That being said.................................

What's the point of having an antenna 102 inches long when you are going to mount it so low that less than half of the antenna will be able to radiate worth anything. The 102" might be the best performing antenna for a cb that is in anyway pratical but when you mount it as low as the bumper and compare it to a high quality antenna such as a Wilson 1000 or 5000 etc mounted to the roof, the shorter antenna will win everytime. You aren't gaining anything by using the longer antenna then effectively blocking 60% of what it could receive or transmit with sheetmetal.

8. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have a fiber glass one here if you are looking for one.

9. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if you mount it on the bumper like you said you can use a tennis ball (or any other rubber type thing)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really good idea. Putting something on the antenna might be easier than mounting something to the truck.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Then if you want to just keep it from going everywhere get you some high strength fishing line and tie it to the antenna

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was hoping for something stretchy, but I know that's going to be hard to do with the top off unless I tie it to the quarter panel which it really low.

[ QUOTE ]
    What's the point of having an antenna 102 inches long when you are going to mount it so low that less than half of the antenna will be able to radiate worth anything. The 102" might be the best performing antenna for a cb that is in anyway pratical but when you mount it as low as the bumper and compare it to a high quality antenna such as a Wilson 1000 or 5000 etc mounted to the roof, the shorter antenna will win everytime. You aren't gaining anything by using the longer antenna then effectively blocking 60% of what it could receive or transmit with sheetmetal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for one, the antenna I got was one of those Radio Shack super cheap specials, so it could do crappy, but the performance per dollar would still be good.

Second, my only options for mounting it higher on my 73 are the side mirrors or the windshield frame. Both would be too high considering I do mostly trail rides through the woods and I already wheel with trucks half my size.

Lastly, although I am blocking 60 percent of the antenna from getting 360* reception, it is really only blocking 60% from 180* (or less if I mounted it near the edge); meaning I still get the benefits of the 102" from any signal behind me. I know I can do much higher quality than a RS fiberglass whip, but I believe I am gaining something by having a longer antenna getting reception from half the direction.

Thanks for the help (and the discussion). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    Lastly, although I am blocking 60 percent of the antenna from getting 360* reception, it is really only blocking 60% from 180* (or less if I mounted it near the edge); meaning I still get the benefits of the 102" from any signal behind me. I know I can do much higher quality than a RS fiberglass whip, but I believe I am gaining something by having a longer antenna getting reception from half the direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not quite true. The problem with 1/4 wave whips (the 102" is one and most others are electrically 1/4 wave whips) is they need a ground plane to supply the "mirror image" to be effective. That's why it's best to mount a cb antenna as close to the center of the vehicle as practical. When the antenna is at an extreme edge of the vehicle then it's radiation pattern will be slightly stronger in the direction of the most metal surface.

When I lived in Shreveport, LA we used to play a game using cb's. Ham's call it "fox hunting" but it's basically hide and seek with the radios. One person would go hide somewhere within a specified radius of where we started then would TX for 3 minutes then standby 3 minutes. Repeating until they were found. The way you could track the "fox" was by locating the antenna to the extreme rear of the vehicle. Then watch the signal meter as you drive in a circle. (best to have a co-pilot watching the meter) When the meter reached it's strongest then the "fox" was in the direction of the front of the vehicle.

Don't get me wrong though, you are making a good choice using the 102" whip since it is a cheap, durable, effective antenna. I just don't like people thinking it's the one and only choice out there. A quality antenna mounted on the center of the hood (keeps it out of tree limbs on the sides also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ) works just as good as a big long antenna mounted on the rear bumper.

There is no "perfect" cb antenna. Any type you choose has it's drawbacks. The answer boils down to which drawbacks you choose to deal with and how much money you're willing to spend.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a 102" whip, with the ball mounted up high on the passenger side rear quarter. But on trails with trees that thing flies all over the place. I've even had the end of it slap the hood. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I picked up a couple of fiberglass antennas at an auction, so now I have a choice of using the 102" steel or a 2-foot fiberglass one or a 4-foot fiberglass one. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The SWR tuning is in the antenna itself, so once the SWR's are set for each antenna then all ya have to do is unscrew one antenna from the spring and screw a different one in place. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif