Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10B, D44, D60 spindle sockets **PICS**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Jun 30, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

For anybody who wants to know what the spindle sockets look like, especially between the D44/10B and the D60, for when they are trying to buy one at a parts store, print this picture and take it with you to show your idiot parts man!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

On the left is the Dana 60 front socket.
    In the middle is the 10B/D44 socket.
    The right side socket is the 14FF rear.
    The little chrome socket in the front middle is the 10B/D44 ball joint socket. (ask Executioner how to use this! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif)
    [​IMG]

2. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the photo, I'm gonna need that D60 socket, and the parts guys around here aren't real intelligent... that'll help!

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Where did you get the balljoint socket, I have looked everywhere

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Prolly Snap-on or Mack......

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Bill

6. thatK30guy

All the sockets but the 14FF are from Snap-On Tools.

The 14FF socket I have does not have any stampings for a name or part number.

Snap-On has the 14FF socket. Just expect to spend about $40 per socket from Snap-On. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif The little ball joint socket will cost cheaper, under $15.

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thanks

8. thatK30guy

TTT. Just wanna keep this up where some people who come in and ask about "how many prongs does a D60 socket have". /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Wes,

What does it mean when you can use a 6-Prong Socket from your recent 14BFF rebuild on a 1980 D60, and it works just fine?

Has someone swapped out those nuts on me....? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I was pleased when I went to take the hub off my 60, and realized I actually OWNED the right tool and didn't have to go to the parts store (for ONCE!)....now you have me wondering.

BONUS QUESTION: Do you remember what year those 8-Lug Conversion parts you sold to ScoobyDan were....I bought them from him, and now I'm trying to document the "hodgepodge" of model years onto a data sheet for the glovebox, in case I ever need a replacement part.

10. thatK30guy

Greg, I've never seen a D60 with 6-prongs on the nuts. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

As for the bonus question /forums/images/icons/wink.gif: it's been a while since I sold those to Dan, but if I can remember right, I believe those came off a '79 K20. Very positive they are from that blue '79 K20 I got and tore apart. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Jeez.....

I thought you knew EVERYTHING! There goes my whole belief structure.......... LOL! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. thatK30guy

What can I say? I'm sorry? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Wanna see something weird? Go check out the rear spindle nuts on a Ford. Some of those have hex shaped heads and use a LARGE socket to fit over them. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Nothing like these pronged sockets at all...just larger socket to fit over the nut. I have some in the garage and they will fit and work fine on any 14FF, too. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

thanxs k30 guy.i knew what i was looking for and i actually found a auto zone around here that somebody said they got a 14ff socket from.they said they have never seen a 6 prong socket like the 4 prong for the d44 front.they said they didnt even have a parts book to look at to match up what i needed in their "special tools" section.waste of time it was to go in that place.next im checking napa.and then....... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

14. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the photo! Im not sure which side of the counter the idiot is on but it will come in handy when I go lookin for the socket for the 14 ff I just got..
    would make setting the preload nice and easy...

I just learned how nice it is to take apart hubs with the right tool about a month ago. I had no idea there was a special socket! I went into my local parts store (Allied) and found a couple of different sockets... I couldn't see the nuts in my head when I was looking at them so I passed on buying any....

You da man!

Thanks

15. BXwildshot

BXwildshot Registered Member

My D60 came out of a military K30 and it has 6 prongs on the spindle socket. I was too cheap to pay 35 bucks for the socket so I made one out of a 2 inch x 6 inch pipe nipple with a hacksaw and an air cutoff tool. works great

Eric