Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10b front rebuild time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Aug 1, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I am currently in the process of rebuilding my front 10b (minus the gears). I have already stripped it down to nothing, cleaned it all up, painted it, and purchased parts. It is now the hard part of putting it all back together. The first issue I am running into is how to remove the balljoints from the spindles. I have access to a torch, air, impact, and all the correct tools. I just don't know the proceedure to replace balljoints, as I have never done this before (my haynes is worthless). So, what do I do?
    Also, do I need a special scket to remove the balljoint adjusting sleeves from the axle housing?
    Lastly, before I finish and put everything all back together, are there any tips and tricks that I should utilize to make my 10b perform better? I have heard to weld the caps on the ujoints to save my balljoints, can anyone explain what this is all about?

Thanks,
    -Ben

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

You need a ball joint press to remove and install those ball joints properly. Harbor freight has ball joint kits here that will get the job done plus it also does u-joints very easily. You might be able to rent the tool from an auto parts store. As for the socket to remove and install the adjusting sleeve, I just got an old socket that fit down the hole and ground it down to fit the sleeve.

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Ball joint write-up
    You can buy the spanner socket for the ball joints from snap-on or look for it online. You can also make it out of a 13/16 deep socket and a grinder in about 20 mins.

4. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

What exactly is this balljoint sleeve socket called? Can I purchase one from Craftsman. Basically I just want to know where I can buy one for cheap, since I have no use for an expensive snap-on socket.

5. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

This is what you need http://www.partsmikeparts.com/ball_joint_adjuster_tool.htm for fairly cheap, but as I said you can make one yourself by grinding an old socket to fit the adjuster. That's the cheapest way to go. If you go that route just take the new adjusting sleeve and use it as a template to mark the socket for grinding. I made one in about 10 minutes and it worked great.

6. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

cause im broke working as a bag boy and cannot afford specialty tools, I used a nail and hammer very gently to get mine out, went thrue about 10 nails in the procces though :mad: make sure when breaking the sleave loose that you switch from side to side so you dont end up digging into the threads :doah: