Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10b front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Habez, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Habez

Habez Registered Member

I have looked into it, and it seems everyone has been trying to go the opposite way, so I haven't found a difinitive answer.

I have a 90 10b 30 spline 6 lug front with 3.73 gears. I am going to be doing the conversion to 8 lug and got the parts from a 86 or 87 I believe. I also pulled the carrier, gears (4.10), and shafts(28 spline). I lived in an apt, so I couldn't handle the whole axle. I would like to change to 4.10 gears. Can I change the carrier and gears from the 30 spline to the 28 spline?

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Well I am not exactly sure if I understood your question but if what your asking is if you can take the 30 spline carrier and shafts and put in another 10 bolt that used to have 28 spline the answer is yes.

3. Habez

Habez Registered Member

Actually opposite, I want to put the 28 spline carrier,gears, and 28 spline shafts in a housing that was made for a 30 spline carrier.

I'm assuming if I can go from 28 to 30 with no problems, I should be able to go from 30 to 28 with no problems

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes you can go that direction. Just make sure you check the pattern of the gears when you install them. Some people may try and tell you to try and use the 30 spline axles but the 28 spline carrier and axles are better all around then the 30 spline stuff.

The 30 spline carriers are supposed to be weaker then 28 spliners. And people will try and tell you the 30 spline axles are better but there is no difference in axle strength. 28 spline and 30 spline axles both have the same weak points and it has nothing to do with the spline count. 28 spline axles are cheaper and easier to find parts for if you do break them also.

Harley