Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10b or 12 rear end?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bp71k5, Jul 9, 2006.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I thought I had a 12 bolt rear end in my k5 (by counting the cover bolts) but when I opened the cover and count the ring gear bolts, there are only 10. Which ones am I supposed to count?

2. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    count the diff cover bolts & that'll tell you which rear end you have

3. bp71k5

Well, it's a 12 bolt then. I though the gear was supposed to have the same number of bolts as the diff cover. The gears look original too with the GM 71 datecode stamped on the ring gear. The gears are 3.07 and still look ok.

4. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    well i think for the most part all first gens came with 12 bolt rears. unless someone swapped in a 10 bolt. the 14 bolt has 14 bolts in the cover but believe they have 12 bolts in the ring gear.

5. bp71k5

That makes sense. I've also heard the 10 bolts had round'ish type covers and this one isn't round like that. Thanks for the info.

6. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

You should have a dana 44 front and a 12 bolt rear if is stock. The 10 bolt is basically the same as the dana 44, chevy just made their own and stopped paying dana Corp. What are you trying to do?

7. bp71k5

It looks like my problem is I forgot how to count. There are 12 bolts on the ring gear as well. :doah:

I'm looking for spare parts (making sure I know what I got before buying) and debating whether it's worth it to put a selectable locker in the front or rear and which ones are available for my setup.

8. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

The rule of thumb seems to be that if you are going to run 36" tires or less, than you should be good with the stock axles. Of coarse if you beat your truck hard you will need to upgrade. I run 35's with stock axles, but spend most of my time in the mud, and I go easy. I Have seen some people, with stock parts, not last the day because they run full throttle into a mud until they snap something (stupid)! I have a locker in the back of my 71 blazer and I would love to put one in the front (dana 44). I don't have rocks where I live and I drive easy into the mud then I give it gas to spin the tires.