Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10B or D60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Dec 17, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm wondering if I should go with an 8 lug 30 spline 10b (that I have), or a D60. It's going under a Toyota, but it'll be running a V8/465/205. I think the weight will be down enough for it to survive, but I need more of a professional input. I know I'd be running an aftermarket carrier, so that'll make up for its weakness. What do you people think?

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

yea like d60's are fallin out of the sky, listin to him talk................I want one too. I just dont want to pay $800.00+ /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't waste the D60 on the Toy.

The 10 bolt will survive just fine. Matter of fact, a 10 bolt for the size of the Toy, will be like a D60 for a Blazer.

Installing a D60 onto a Toy is like installing a 2.5 ton Rockwell under a Blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Generally if you were putting a solid gm axle under a toyota...I'd say go with a 10 bolt for weight reasons, and it would have enough strength. BUT, since you're running a significantly larger engine...it's a no-brainer for me: dana 60. You'll want that added strength so you can be assured that if you give the gas that little extra tap...you won't bust anything up front. Just my opinion.

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well I was just going to use a stock 350 with a mild cam. See I was thinking the 10b would survive up front, I just wanted a second opinion, ya know? I might just make the 10 bolt from hell and call it good. I'll still have less invested in it than I would a decent-priced, unmodified D60.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds good to me...just thought I'd voice my opinion.
    Why not over-build if the opportunity arrises...that's my theory.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You dont need those Being reliable is a major goal for mine. I like to hit the back wood trails that don't see much use. So The mods I'd recomened would be: 3/4 Ton axles (cheaper then 1 Ton, but 1 Ton is better) and either a 4" or 6" suspension lift, and 33" to 36" tires. Now I don't know how you feel about trimming fenders, so I'll leave that one alone. That'll get ya out in the woods.

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

WTF?! This is the 3rd time I've seen this!

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

I feel you on your theory bud. I've heard (supposedly), that a guy around here can get me a 4.56 D60's for $600. I will jump all over this if he's not bullshittin'. I'd leave it like it sits because I don't think I'm going to run a tire bigger than a 37".

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

What are you planning to do with the truck? You might be alot lighter with the Toy but if you are going to do serious rock crawling and you can get a D60 cheap I'de go that route. In most conditions the 10 bolt should survive but if it requires running CTM's and Warn shafts to make it survive the D60 is the better choise. If you already have the 10 bolt then slap it under and run it untill it breaks.

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

I'll be running the trails of Tellico and Uhwarrie. After I've conquered School Bus, I'll be taking road trips to other parts of the country. This will be my offroad truck, so if I need to throw money at it and have lots of down time doing mods, it will be fine.