Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10B outer lock nut TQ specs? UPDATE 12/28 now spindle bearing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhilS10HO, Dec 26, 2006.

1. PhilS10HO

PhilS10HO Registered Member

I'm going to look for a manual at the local Napa, but incase they don't have one I'm asking. I searched and found agreement on 50 ft/lbs on the inner nut. Then back off and retighten 35ft/lbs. The outer nut seems to have some disagrement. I saw the same procedure as the inner nut. Just 50ft/lbs without backing it off. Last I saw was high 190's and 205ft/lbs without backing off. So which is it. 87 GMC 1/2 ton pick up 10B. Thanks all.

Phil

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Unless someone else gets to it first, I'll quote from the factory manual. Give me a couple hours. 5:33 PST.

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Torgue the adjusting nut to 50 ft. lbs. while rotating the hub. Back off and retighten to 35 ft. lbs.
    Back off adjust nut 3/8 max. turn.
    Install the (drag sleeve) washer. Tang on the inside of the washer into the slot in the spindle, and any hole in the washer slips over the pin in the adjuster. Adjust if needed in the clockwise direction (slightly).
    Install the lock nut and torque to 160 ft. lbs. End play should be .001-.010.
    End play is their numbers but they don't say where to measure.
    I've found its easiest to do this with the tire/wheel bolted on so I can feel for the brg play, thats with the brake pads backed-off. I adjust the brgs so there is just play, so that may mean a few trys to get it right. To be sure, I start from no play and loosen in the smallest steps possible with the pin/hole range, or if its loose I do the reverse, tighten until there's just a click or it just took-up click and then back off "one". :D

4. PhilS10HO

Thanks. Good info :waytogo:

Phil

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Final torque was around 50 ft. lbs. before they came out with the auto locking hubs. Part of the mechanism for the auto lockers is indexed to special tabs on the washer between the two lock nuts. The 160 ft. lbs. is the number they came up with to prevent the new hubs from causing the outer nut to loosen.

6. PhilS10HO

I have manual locking warn hubs. So your saying the manuals are 50 and the auto are 160?

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Aw now Harry, Phil is asking a valid question. Will 50 ft. lbs. keep the lock ring from backing out?:D

8. HarryH3

Yep, it worked fine on Dana 44's and 10-bolts for many years. :wink1: I never saw the 160 lb number listed in the factory manuals until the auto locking hubs came out. Take apart an auto locking setup sometime and you'll see why they had ro torque the outer nut so much tighter. 50 is fine with manual hubs, but going higher won't hurt anything.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Except some of my bones when the socket slips off. :D
    Thanks for the insight Harry, I'll experiment with something in between 50-160.

10. HarryH3

Quit using those cheap parts-store sockets! :rolleyes: I used to have one that slipped all the time, then a buddy sold me a used one made by Snap-On. It doesn't slip. :cool1: It's actually made so that it fully engages the slots on the lock nut.

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeah, mine's a PepBoys gem. It is precision engineered to disengage at 159 ft. lbs. I won't be cranking it beyond 100 ft. lbs. anymore. :haha:

12. PhilS10HO

Did my wheel bearings today. The bigger of the two was bad. Everything else was alright. Replaced everything anyway cause I had already bought it. I did this cause I have play when I grab the hub, and and pull up. Changing the wheel bearings didn't help at all. So I guess my next thing is the spindle bearing. With the hubs out should I be able to move the axle shaft all around? Cause I can. I did a search on changing the spindle bearing it doesn't sound like a big deal. Any words of advice anyway.
    Phil