Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10B Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82GMCP/U, Mar 11, 2003.

1. 82GMCP/U

82GMCP/U Registered Member

I need either a locker(not a Gov-lock) or a posi for a 10B where is a "cheap" place to get one?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

"cheap" meaning chapest place to buy a new one?

I've made up my mind that if/when my gov-lock wears out, or breaks, I'm going to replace it with a new Eaton Posi, think they are around $300 or so, but you can adjust the spring preload and so on.

Check out www.ring-pinion.com

Another is the Torsen (Zexel??) diff setup. I'm not sure exactly how those things work (worm gears maybe?) but they seem to be really gaining in popularity as a traction device. Might be worth checking into, I know you can get them for the 8.5" (10 bolt) diff.

3. 82GMCP/U

"cheap" meaning used, or new, or whatever just don't wanna put alot of money into a 10B. Gonna get bigger axles later and spend the money on them. Just need something to get by, Cause I have no carier now(broke the open one in half).

4. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

rocky-road.com have some good prices on LockRights, etc. They are also pleasant on the phone. I have called Randy's R&P several times only to be disappointed in their pricing. Good luck. Rocky-Road

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So you're definately looking for a whole carrier locker, then and not a Lock-Right or EZ locker.

6. 82GMCP/U

Well anything would be nice, it could go inside a carier, I have a extra open, but didn't wanna just put a open in it ya know.

7. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

GET A LOCKRIGHT, CHEAP, STRONG ENOUGH FOR A 10 BOLT AND EASY TO INSTALL AND WORKS GREAT. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If you are going to get bigger axles later, then don't spend 300+ on a lockrite or an eaton carrier, though both are good. Go for the bigger axle now. You can get a 14FF with a gov-loc for $400. The 14SF is about $300. Best bet is to throw in the open carrier you said you already have. Thats real cheap. or go to the junk yard a get a limited slip carrier out of something. Just my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

How soon do you need one? I will be putting my 14SF in my truck next month. and I'd sell you my year old Eaton thats in the 10 bolt cheap if you can wait. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif I go up near albany often so lake george isn't far.