Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10b t0 14b questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike83blazer, Dec 30, 2002.

1. mike83blazer

mike83blazer Registered Member

ive heard people say it is just a direct bolt in, however somethings need to be changed? What are those?
    First with the ubolts from my 10b hold the 14b in? will the shocks line up the same? with the driveshaft connenct? if not where can i get new ubolts? or do i need to have the driveshaft alterered?
    ps the 14b is currencly in a 3/4ton suburban in a juck yard complete.
    please someone help!
    Mike Pless

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i will try, the 3/4 ton is an almost direct swap for your 83 (?) blazer, the ubolts are not interchangable, you will need the correct length ones for the 14ff, the shocks will line up the same, ( it is the 1 tons that are different), there is a hybrid crossover ujoint that the part number escapes me right now, however it will turn up with a search, maybe this will help ya' out

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I believe you will need u-joint #447(NAPA). You will need to get new 3 3/8" u-bolts because the tube size on the 14 bolt is bigger than the 10 bolt. The shocks are the same.

4. mike83blazer

you said that my blazer ubolts will not be long enofe how about the ubolt from the donor 3/4 ton suburban

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

mine as well get fresh u bolts,

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt use old u-bolts, get new ones.

7. fourwheelerjeff

if you still have your lift, they will definitely not work, u-bolts are supposed to stretch when you are putting them on and torquing them down, ubolts are fairly cheap at 4wp or some other place, if you don't have your lift anymore, they could work; but for the piece of mind, it would be worth it to but new ones on, even though you are trying to sell it (correct?) if you do decide to re-use them, i would at least put new nuts, preferably locking nuts, on them and chase the threads with a die

8. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Whether or not you have all your answers by now, here's a good article by Steve that seems to provide a lot of useful tips.

9. fourwheelerjeff

i didn't make this clear, the axle tubes on the 14ff are bigger than the 10 bolt axle tubes, that is why they will not work, and then there is the length problem, are you just using springs on the back or do you still have the lift back there

10. mike83blazer

i plan to toss the entire 10b and replace the complete rear end with a 14b, im not keep the old axles they are trashed. i will get new ubolts. thanks for the info and it is stock hight with stock springs.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

> ive heard people say it is just a direct bolt in, however
    > somethings need to be changed? What are those?
    > First with the ubolts from my 10b hold the 14b in?

Ubolts need to be changed, the ff14b axle tubes are a larger diameter.

> will the shocks line up the same?

good question, when I did it, I was relocating shocks anyway... so it wasnt a problem. Im tempted to say that the shock mounts shouldnt be a problem... but depending on what your ff14b came out of.... *shrugs*

> with the driveshaft connenct?

depends on what yoke you have on your axle now. You may need a conversion u joint.

> if not where can i get new ubolts?

any real 4x4 retailer has or can get them, but you may save a lot of $ by going to a spring shop that makes their own.

> or do i need to have the driveshaft alterered?

the pinion sticks out further on the ff14b than it does on the 10b... so you will most likely need some sort of driveshaft modification. Only way to know for sure is to get the new axle under there and try it and/or measure. I slightly lengthened my rigs rear driveshaft when I did my 4" susp lift... and it was adequate after I swapped in the ff14b as well. Thats just my experience, your shaft may need to be altered.

> ps the 14b is currencly in a 3/4ton suburban in a juck
    > yard complete.

Id say its highly likely that the shock mounts will be fine. You may need to move your spring perches also. If you want some beefy ones, I got a set of solid steel perches from rockjunkies that were predrilled for offsetting the axle either 1" or 1.5". Speaking of which, when I installed my ff14b I moved it back about 1". This may have helped my driveshaft fit better... though the shackle-flip + revolver install moved it forward prolly .5" or so... so like I said, you'd prolly have to swap the axle in to know for sure.

j

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

great info guys as always! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No need for me to ask, I love this serch butten. I ASEUME "ASS OU OF YOU AND ME" that this info is gererally the same for swapping my 12 bolt rear to a 14 bolt? And I too will now not even think of reuseing u bolys and my pile (8)of used d-shafts might have one that will work! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. bionic_tooth

bionic_tooth Newbie

hey guys, my 10b finally packed it in my 89 burb 1/2 tonne, i can see from most of the postings that everybody
    is going to a 14B (FF) but let me throw in a ringer...
    is it a direct fit to throw in a 14b (SF) 6 stub pattern out of a 95 Chev PU or is there some major mods to be done.??
    Thanks in advance.....

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

with the price of ff14b axles were they are Im not sure why anyone would want a sf14b... but AFAIK the same swap issues (minus buying 8 lug rims) apply...

j

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No. A 14 bolt SF from a '95 would require quire a few mods. The shock mounts and spring pads would be different.