Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10b to 14bff swap ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, Aug 16, 2004.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I just picked up a 14bff/open/3.73 gears (told it came from an 86 Chevy truck). What do I need to do before I swap it for the 1/2 10b? It has newer brakes (3 months old), I will be changing the inner & outer bearings, and wheel seals. Anything else I should do? I will also be re-gearing and adding a locker.

I'm told it's a direct bolt on. Is it as simple as unbolting and removing all brake lines, e-brake, etc., and just swapping the axle and install in reverse from removal? (I have never done this b4 -- so bare with me)

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yep, direct bolt in...you will need a conversion u-joint tho...I believe you need the 447 for yours that had the 10bolt.

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if there is a noticable height difference when you do this swap. I think that they are bigger axle tubes on the 14, so when you swap do you gain height since the springs are sitting further up from the centerline of the axle tube?

-Chris

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

maybe 1/2"

5. la_blazer82

Thanks. I just want to make sure b4 I try to swap them. the 14b is one heavy a$$ axle; me and me bro got sore backs from lifting it onto his Toy pick-up (which tend to sit somewhat low). There would have been no way we could have lifted it onto a full-size pick-up, w/out throwing our backs!

BTW -- I already have the part # for the Neapco conversion u-joint, thanks

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Was the donor 86 truck a 3/4 ton or one ton? Dont you have to get one from a 3/4 ton so you dont have to move the perches?

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You have to move the perches on 1 ton trucks, your ok on 3/4 ton trucks. Also you need to shorten the shock mounts by like 2" or so if it came from a 2wd truck.

Make sure you have the correct E-Brake type, some go down the frame rail and cross over at the axle itself, some go down on seperate sides of the frame.

8. la_blazer82

[ QUOTE ]
    Was the donor 86 truck a 3/4 ton or one ton? Dont you have to get one from a 3/4 ton so you dont have to move the perches?

[/ QUOTE ]

3/4 axle, not 1 ton. I bought from a guy that had it on his 83 k5, swapped it out as he's installing d60 (which came w/free 1ton 14b). He said it was direct swap

e-brake runs to both sides of the axle, not all the way across