Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10b to 14bsf brake cable issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by basketcase, Dec 17, 2006.

1. basketcase

basketcase Registered Member

I just finished getting my 14 bolt into my 90 sub, but i can't hook up my e brake. my 83 14 bolt has bolt in cables, but the sub used the new style unequal length push in cables. anyone knon how i can slove this? need the e brake to pass inspection next month.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Look for the same year 14bsf cables , or change the whole cable arrangement from the pedal connection back .

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I personally would swap the other portions of the e-brake, it's a better, cleaner setup. When I get around to it, I will do so myself.

It's not a simple bolt in swap, but any of the mid-80's+ C/K/R/V 'burb cable setups would work, and a donor would show you what needs to be done to your truck.

4. basketcase

any reason i couldn't cut the 10 bolt backing plates out and weld the push in cable mounts to the 14 bolt backing plates?

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You don't want to do that.
    Change the cables on the axle to the system you have on your truck, it's the easiest way.
    The axles are the same it's just the cables.
    :D

6. basketcase

the axles may be the same, the backing plates are not. the backing plates on my new axle use bolt in cables, the old axle used push in cables. i can't find an application for bolt in cables in the proper lengths for the later system. the rear is an 83 the truck is a 90. so far i havent found a later model system that uses bolt in cables, which led to the thought about modifying the existing plates. why wouldn't that work?