Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10blt/12blt axle beef up q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Propayne, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Propayne

Propayne Registered Member

its really a short and simple question....have any of yall ever thought of using Moser Racing Axle shafts to beef up your axles. I am planning on eventually running about an 8 inch lift and 40's or the biggest tire i can fit.

thanks for your input ck5

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the easiest way to beef up your rear end is to spend 50 bucks and buy a 14 bolt. then spend a lil more, replace seaks, bearings, brakes and move the perches. Its the only way to go with 40's. your asking for troubles with a 10/ 12 bolt

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 12 bolt rear even with Superior shafts (better then Moser) is only really good to 37" tires under heavy use. The front 10 bolt is really only good to about the same. This is especially true if you are using the truck hard in stuff like rockcrawling.

If you want to run 40's and want to run it hard then you should just invest in 1 ton stuff. 40" tires under hard use can break even Dana 60 stubshafts and maybe more. The D60 is alot more apt to handle the abuse then the 10 bolt. If you can break the 14bff rear with 40's then you are in a league with some pretty elite company.

Harley

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

one guy on here said he had broken some 14b shafts, but hes jus plain crazy.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Actually , guys with lots of wheelin experience , shouldnt' and wouldn't break 14 bolts ............ aside from the video clip I saw of a guy doing real wheeling .

I don't know how that 14 bolt broke you speak of .

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

its the guy who dd's a buggy, and has had several nice k5s in cali

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I you decide to go to the 1 ton club, I gots a 60 that I really need to get rid of. I've been to San Angelo, and I know there are 14ffs in the yard down there. While your at those yards, I need some parts for my 62 4wd Suburban....lol

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ive seen a video on here of a guy wheeling in the rocks....one rear tire started spinning real fast....then the other one locked up...and bam! Broken 14ff shaft. Must have been a gov-lock though....cause my detroit wont let one tire spin for very long before it locks up. It did look like the side that broke....the tire turned abot a full revolution before you could hear it snap.:eek1: Those are some strong shafts. But hell, I know a place where they have a box of about 500 twisted up broken rockwell 2.5 and 5 ton shafts. They look like if you were to take a hot dog and twist it in your hands till it breaks....yeah :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:
    -Harrison

9. Propayne

Propayne Registered Member

b454rat, if you tell me what parts you need, ill look for them when i make my next run to the junk yard. also, which yards can you tell me have these 14bolts?