Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10Bolt?8lug Dana44? Uploaded Pics!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Takman, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Takman

Takman Registered Member

Hi guys,
    I got Question about front end.
    I am going upgrade on my Sub and K-5 and I found 3/4T 79Sub donor car which had 8lug 14Bolt rear and 10Bolt front(At least what I thought)But the owner kept telling me it has Dana axle in the front. Now,I know D44 and 10bolt are very similer but have diff cover(one I saw had fill plug on the round cover)and no Dana id # on left bottom.
    Here is the Question,
    1.Is there Dana axle using or modify 10bolt housing?
    2.IS there axle looks identical to Corp10bolt out there?
    3.IS 8lug 10bolt axle came with 79Sub 3/4ton?
    Thanks

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: 10Bolt?8lug Dana44?

The owner is stupid and doesn't know what he's talking about most likely. If it looks like a 10 bolt, acts like a 10 bolt, and breaks like a 10 bolt, guess what??

It's a 10 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

1. no
    2. no
    3. yes

3. Takman

Takman Registered Member

That is right, he did not know nothing,Pre-owner did all the work I hear.
    But the car was great. it had 49state legal smog and no need to have anything(cat smog pum)... on to pass Cali regi.

Was 8lug 10bolt popular on early Sub3/4?

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Can be a D44. Most obvious give away is the fill plug.

Is it possible that there is to much crap on the housing to see the 44?

5. Takman

Takman Registered Member

Thanks 84_Chevy_K10 SUBFAN !!

i am going back tommorow to see in day light but if there is no Id tag on the right bottom(any Dana) how can I identify? It was compleately round dif cover

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

a D44 will be smooth on the bottom, 10b will have ears on the bottom of the housing.

At this point though, why does it matter????

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    3.IS 8lug 10bolt axle came with 79Sub 3/4ton?
    Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG] that would be an 8 lugger 10B out of a 79' sub. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif...so yes they did.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It was compleately round dif cover

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately not a Dana 44. 10 bolts have the roundest diffs you will see on our trucks.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Also, and this goes for all of us using the site, try looking in the technical section on the homepage now and then, amazing what you will find there /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

10. Takman

Takman Registered Member

Thanks for the reply rjfguitar(with awsome Pic) and TrcksR4ME for the info.
    One last Q.
    Is 10Bolt stong enough for dune and some offraod. I know not strong enough for serious rocks...

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

10 bolt front is strong enough for anything, you just have to limit tire size to 36s or so.

I beat the piss out of mine with 35s for 2 years and had no issues at all. Bolted a set of heavy 38.5" swampers to it and broke it twice in three outings so far.

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That 10 bolt won't be too happy if you start putting air under the tires out running on the dunes. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Could be that the stock front end took a big dump and the guy stuck in a D44. Some People often confuse the two since they both actually use 10 bolts to hold on the front cover and a corprate 10 bolt can/may have Spicer componets.

14. Takman

Takman Registered Member

Sorry Guys, I went to see School of Rock in chaep movie theater.
    84_Chevy_K10,
    I am with you on that,my 90Bub has 350tbi/700 on 6in lift and 35. I go to Moab(mediam trail...can't go serious trail, too big) colorado mountains,pismo,etc...)and guess what!! not even once my 10bolt fail on me. I got posi and gears,but I thought the way I drive on/off street,I thought I would break this 10bolt in the second. May be I am lucky.

heavy4x4,
    you are right,altough I had never had a problem,I strongly fell someday I will stuck in the place where no cell or CB can reach becuase of 10 bolt that I hae been abusing. Thus, I decided to swap drivetrain to 14bolt rear(I ma sure sure I counted the bolts?!) and front(D or corpoarate) to secure my way out. Yes, many in pismo told me I should get bigger axle and cut the wieght of the car...yah)

Corey 78K5,
    good info,that what I read somewhere and in back of my head it was always there and did not want to convice the owner of this 79 Sub that 100% sure it was 10bolt.

OK,Guys here is the thing, GM create motor with 35.000mi ,350Tb TR just been serviced with shift kit, 10Bolt or Dana on the front 14bolt on the rear both with Posi,polly bushings,new dual flowmaster(no cat or smog pump require in Cali),NO rust,in/out clean cosmetically,heavy duty F/R bumper,no lift but custom heavy duty suspension.
    The previous owner was the fleet maneger in local phone compay for 20yr fixing all there cars, so obiously the car is in great condition for the age.

This is the car I am thinking to buy for $1300,pro or con?

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK,Guys here is the thing, GM create motor with 35.000mi ,350Tb TR just been serviced with shift kit, 10Bolt or Dana on the front 14bolt on the rear both with Posi,polly bushings,new dual flowmaster(no cat or smog pump require in Cali),NO rust,in/out clean cosmetically,heavy duty F/R bumper,no lift but custom heavy duty suspension.
    The previous owner was the fleet maneger in local phone compay for 20yr fixing all there cars, so obiously the car is in great condition for the age.

This is the car I am thinking to buy for $1300,pro or con?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a smoking deal to me! You need to jump on that. The engine, exhaust, NO RUST, good drivetrain...those are easily adding up to way over $1300 in my head.

Oh, and stop calling it a car, that's definitely a truck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Takman

Takman Registered Member

heavy4x4,
    Thanks, I could not sleep last night thinking about what will I do if I buy this TRUCK(I can't forgive my self for saying CAR...hell was I thinking!)

I saw your truck looks good and clean,I like that./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Hey, I thought maybe it is not right to just see other's pics and have fun with it so I put my webshot URL,I know it is still weak truck but soon it will be...I hope.

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the reply rjfguitar(with awsome Pic) and TrcksR4ME for the info.
    One last Q.
    Is 10Bolt stong enough for dune and some offraod. I know not strong enough for serious rocks...

[/ QUOTE ]It all depends on what tire size you want. In sand I wouldn't be affraid to run a 37" or 38" tire as long as you keep the front on the ground and the truck has a Small block in it... but I wouldn't be suprised if a stub or 2 was wasted. Sand is usually pretty soft on things and you basically know you won't dig and grab a rock or tree root or something like what happens in mud sometimes.

18. Takman

Takman Registered Member

rjfguitar,
    That is a good info!
    I will not run more than 35in on my burb. Because I travel a lot with my burb(no need for motel..haha cheap baster)don't think it is wise idea to go taller than 35. Just trying to build the all-aound sleeper in case Excursion or Explorer pulls up in front of me. Don't get me wrong I like Full size Bronco.