Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10bolt axle truss front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jun 17, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I dont really know much about axle trusses but I would like to /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif How do they help? do they cut down on ground clearance bad? where can I get one? why dont more of yall run them? and anything else yall might wanna tell me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont really know much about axle trusses but I would like to /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif How do they help?

[/ QUOTE ]

depending on the truss, they may work in compression or in tension, and they are there to keep the axle from bending under stress. Generally the below-the-axle models are the ones with thinner bars running the width of the axle, these are workin in tension. The ones on top of the axle (generally much beefier tube steel) work in compression.

[ QUOTE ]
    do they cut down on ground clearance bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the type... the below axle ones do reduce ground clearance... and worse, the tensile members arent very thick so when they meet a rock its bent-truss-city. Im sure the trusses that are basically full-width gusseting from the bottom of the diff out are tougher and more rock resistant.. but still, lost clearance sux0|2. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    where can I get one?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya got me. lol!

[ QUOTE ]
    why dont more of yall run them?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the person I guess. personally, I'm not gonna bolt anything to the underside of the axles. I wouldnt mind having an over-axle truss on my ff14b someday. AFA the D60 overaxle truss goes, no one really makes one... if someone has one its prolly a custom job. I think the MAIN reason that more peeps here dont run them is because unless you jump ur rig, a truss isn't really needed on bigger axles (d60/ff14b).

[ QUOTE ]
    and anything else yall might wanna tell me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno... save ur money and buy a bigger front axle? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

They cut down on ground clearance if the truss is run on the bottom. How do they help? Keeps the axle together after airing it out.

There are really some good threads on this.............

One's here and and here and another one is right here and last, but not least, right here.

Have fun reading..........

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

man, thats classic POR.. one post with about 50 responses... 5 of which are usefull... the other 45 are pointlessly mean smack talk and other childishness. gawd those llamas suck.

j

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    man, thats classic POR.. one post with about 50 responses... 5 of which are usefull... the other 45 are pointlessly mean smack talk and other childishness. gawd those llamas suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know, it's starting to calm down these days.....That actually turned out to be a good tech post minus all the BS. The other links are from RDC and there's some really great tech in those threads.

6. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

if you plan on jumping your truck they are nessisary. i had one back in the day when i was young and stupid (about 3 months ago) and i jumped my truck a lot. now that i have "grown up" and like to keep as many tires on the ground as posible, i dont run one. they are about $130 from 4WPW for the con ferr super skid truss. it has a skid plate to protect your diff. this is what i used and never had any problames with breakage. but when you venture onto the rocks with this particular truss it will bend. but they are fairly easy to strighten out. hope this helped.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im thinking of the under axle truss now do they drag in the mud alot? I only want to run a 35 and I want it to go though mud fairly well btw im not worried about rocks(I live in FL)