Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10bolt question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jersey, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

i know, i know..go 12bolt or even better - 14ff, but for now, until i figure out exactly what i want to do to her, i need to fix my 10bolt, if i can. If i raise the rear, i can push and pull each axle in and out about 1/4 inch. wheel bearings fine...no play side to side. when i'm slowing to a stop and she shifts from say 3rd to 2nd, i get a nice "clunk" coming from the rear. ujoints are all replaced. anyone have an idea why all he play and the clunk? I'm thinking the clips are shaved and/or worn giving me the play. is there anything else i should look for when i pull the diff cover tonight that might be giving me the problem or anything i might be able to adjust? like i said, just a temp fix now until i do the upgrade next month. Thanks.

'91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241, Flowmaster
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pages.zdnet.com/len1313/blazer>click here for pics</a>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used to have an 89 S-10 Blazer with the baby 10 bolt in it. I had a C clip drop out of the slot on me one day, I thought it had just worn down too. I bought some replacement C clips and thought I'd get away with a quick fix. It turned out that the C clips didn't wear down, the slot on the end of the axle shaft had worn and opened up allowing the clip to drop out even with the cross pin installed. [​IMG]

I made a shim using a hardened frame washer that I ground down using a belt sander and lots of coolant to keep from overheating the washer. It took a long time to grind it thin enough, especially because I had to stop and cool it down so often. It was kind of a hokey repair, but it did work and I never had a problem for the year or so i drove it like that.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

Your carrier bearings could be shot. Remove the cover and see if you can move the carrier around. If you can the bearings are junk and the housing may be also. Usually when the bearings go you will hear a groan under power. Remove the cover and have someone push the tire in and out and you should be able to see the culprit.

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

4. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Thanks tRusty &amp; blazbrnc for the replies. I'll check it out tonight if i get a chance to get in the garage for a bit. If not, def tomm night and repost. Also, It seems like it almost freewheels when i'm coasting to slow down right before the "clunk" when she downshifts. Maybe it's just completely shot and she's calling, begging for a 14ff!! Thanks again.

'91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241, Flowmaster
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pages.zdnet.com/len1313/blazer>click here for pics</a>

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] I got a 14 bolt for sale too. [​IMG] Let me know if you need one! Geared 4.1- with gov-lock. Needs brakes! ready to bolt in to your blazer!

tRustyk5 for President!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>