Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10bolt vs d44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Feb 13, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I couldnt find anything in a search. But what are the differences in ring gear size, shaft spline count, axle tube thickness, etc etc. Which is stronger? I hear d44 is stronger but others tell me 10bolt has a bigger/thicker ring gear

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

I dont know specs but field exp. is what matters and i would have to say the D44 is stronger. I have a friend who ran 38s on a D44 IFS and never had any problems. So i figure thats saying something

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

They are really about the same strength. I think the D44 has the advantage in the axle tubes are thicker and they have a better spline count at the carrier. (30 or 31 spline I think). But beyond that they are really about the same. The spline count doesn't really matter much as the first thing to break will be the Ujoint, and they run the same joints.

If you plan on jumping it then the D44 has a little bit on the 10 due to the thicker tubes, but thats all I have ever heard they have over the 10's. Beside if you are jumping anyway you really want a D60. (hell who doesn't want a D60?)

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

A D60 is too heavy for jumping. I dont think you could catch air with a d60 and a 14 FF /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Like harley said though, they both have there advantages and disadvantages. I would not replace a 10 bolt for a d44 though, inless it was al setup.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah my buddy jumped his dodge with 40's and a d44 front and 60 rear.. needless to say his 44 didnt survive.

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Well, so far my 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear has held up to my jumping on 38.5s. I do prerunner style jumping in my Suburban, when the sandrail is broken. I hit jumps at 65-70 mph.

Dan

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack a post, but I'm with you on that one! My 10/12 bolt is FAR better for jumping than one ton axles (after all my trussing) simply due to the lighter weight (and lots of trusses), I could snap a d60 or 14ff just as easy as I could snap a 10 bolt, the 1/4'' or whatever difference in tube thickness doesn't mean jack when I am splitting the cast iron housings from one side to the other! As to the strength of the 10bolt vs. 44, they are so close in strength it isn't even funny: they both use all the same outers (stubs, bearings, hubs, knuckles are all interchangeable) they both use a 8.5'' ring gear and they are both available with 30 spline axles. The d44 fronts all have 30 splines but most 10 bolts are 28 spline untill they went to 30 spline in 89. Like stated before the difference in spline count is not the weak link, the 19 spline stub shafts (same for both axels) and/or u-joints will let go first anyway.