Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Jul 12, 2004.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

is a d44 eight lug stronger then a 10 bolt eight lug? are there some years that 10 bolts are better or worse? Which should i go with using 4.10 gears?

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The D44 and 10bolt are pretty much equal in strength, the D44 is a tad bit stronger but it's not worth mentioning.

The bolts with 30 splines are a little bit stronger then the 10 bolts with 28 splines, I don't remember the year they came out with 30 splines but I want to say it's around 88?? Someone else will chime in on that one.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There are almost no strength differences between a D44 and 10B regardless if it's 6 or 8 lug. The only real strength difference would bein the housings themselves....a 10B is made with grey iron and Dana axles were poured with nodular iron meaning that a D44 will resist snapping at the pinion a little better than a 10B, but that for the most part only matters if you will be putting a considerable amount of air underneath your truck at times. I would go with what ever you find but if you have a 10B already than I would look for another one, visa versa if you have a D44...reason being is because the brake lines are different sizes between the 2 different axles. Also a 10b and D60 share the same size brake line but a d44 line is a hair smaller and won't fit anything else.

4. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The D44 and 10bolt are pretty much equal in strength, the D44 is a tad bit stronger but it's not worth mentioning.

The bolts with 32 splines are a little bit stronger then the 10 bolts with 28 splines, I don't remember the year they came out with 32 splines but I want to say it's around 88?? Someone else will chime in on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]the bigger spline on the 10bolt is 30 not 32 and the old dana 44 are weaker then 10 bolt b/c of the very small ujoint they use

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yea, I just realized I posted the wrong #, oh well, what can ya do /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

30 spline 10 bolt carriers are weaker then 28 spline carriers. The strength difference between 28 & 30 spline is not worth mentioning. The axle will still break at the neck down outside the splines or at the ujoint. So the spline has nothing to do with the strength.

Also finding replacement parts for a 28 spline are MUCH easier to get then 30 spline.

The D44 gets a little strength adavantage from the larger ring gear. It doens't reallly matter though unless you run chromo shafts because the axle should break before the ring gear.

Harley