Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10w30 or 40?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer, Sep 6, 2000.

1. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I've got an '85 with a 305 ci. The valve guides leak a little on cranking, and there are a few drops coming from the rear main. Should I start using 10w40 sans 30 weight? I live in Tennessee so climate isn't generally an issue. I just thought it might help these leaks a little till I put my bowtie 500ci, all aluminum Nitro Methane monster motor in it. I mean my pep boys 350.

"who dares wins"

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

You could try one of those "smoke b gone", or an oil additive, not something like slick 50 (all they really do is thicken up the oil). Or try some 20/50. - Steve

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I've always been sort of leary about anything but oil in the crankcase, There are alot of new addatives though. I've not heard anything bad about slick 50, has anyone used this stuff with success? and what about synthetics and blends? My engine is a little tired but I don't want to accelerate wear or swell up my pistons the way that gooey engine honey stuff used to do.

"who dares wins"

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Sorry, Steve, you said don't use slik50.....I read it wrong the first time. Thanks, I won't

"who dares wins"

5. bart

bart Registered Member

Put in a heavier weight oil, like straight 40W, if it's not too cold (below about 45-50 degrees constant) you'll be fine...it will hold up better at higher temps. Throw in a quart of STP if you use a thinner oil..like 30W. I did this and it seemed to reduce the engine oil consumption somewhat.

bart

6. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Thanks Bart, It doesn't generally get too cold here in Tennessee. We did get snow once when I was a child (ha). I garage it mostly anyway at night, so I think I'll go pick some up.

"who dares wins"

7. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Problem Solved

I have been waiting for a post like yours to express my happiness with an oil I have started using. I used to run valvoline 10-40 in my 350 and there always seem to be a little bead of oil comming from the rear seal. Last week I was grabing some vavoline 10-40 when I saw there new MAX LIFE oil line. It has extra detergents and seal rejuvination stuff. It was only .50 more so I bought some 20-50. One week later not one trace of oil from the seal. Normaly I'm not a fan of fix its in a bottle but this MAX LIFE stuff has seemed to given my rear seal another 20k of life.

8. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>Slick 50 is/was good, I used it when it first came out, and back then I think it was $40-50 a bottle, it smoothed out my idle and it idled lower. Anyways that is not what you want, you are wanting to thicken the oil so that it will do better when the motor warms up. I have not used this stuff since (and how those prices have come down), or Motor Up or any of those lately. But, I probably might try it for the heck of it. - Steve</font color=purple>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Try 20/50 Kendell that say "turbo" on the bottle or use 15/40 Mobil. They both work really well for "sealing" leaks.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com