Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

11" Clutch vs 12"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by petryshyn, May 5, 2005.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

I am wondering if their are benifits from running the larger size clutch. Also are the flywheels the same for both of the clutches, will the pressure plate bolt up thanks.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The flywhels are the same so either will bolt up. Bigger is better, more surface area for grippage. :D

3. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i just bought a GM 454 HO motor, the flywheel they specify (GM part #) will only take up to a 11" clutch.

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

my '82 k-5 with 350 and sm465 takes the 12 inch clutch

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

pressure plates//\\

I had bad luck with the 3 finger style 12 inch pressure plates,2 of them failed in a months time--many others I sold them too did too--one lever loses its adjustment,and the clutch chatters at first,then wont release all the way..I'd use a 12" Diaphram style pressure plate(if your bellhousing and flywheel allow it!,not all do!)--if not,an 11" diaphram type is plenty beefy--and easier on the left foot if you dont have a hydralic clutch setup--the 12" 3 lever type are a left leg killer..

.As for the surface area,I was suprised to learn the "dinky" 10.5 inch clutch used on some 6 cylinder trucks actually has nearly the same amount of friction surface as a 12 inch does--its lining extends closer to the crankshaft than the 11 or 12 inch ones do...not much difference.. :crazy:

6. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replys. Think i will go with a 11" don't want to much of a workout with the 12" :)

7. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

I use the 12" clutch in my mud truck, (from 1ton 1978 chevy 4x4) bought it from autozone with lifetime warranty :saweet:

It is a work out when you need to hold it for long periods of time(hydro clutch), but for me it is just a toy and I wanted beef.