Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$111.25 gas cap

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] The "Service engine soon" light has been on in the 2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS coupe for a couple of months. Drove me nutz. Finally broke down at took it too the stealership. It had a small air leak at the gas cap. So after paying for the dianostic, and gas cap, the light is out !!!!!!! :D :D :D :D The original cap broke, and I bought a replacement gas cap from NAPA. It never did fit right, and the stealership said it wasn't the right cap for this car. Why am I not suprised CRAPA gave me the wrong part ?? I swear, I honestly believe giving the wrong part(s) is standard opperating procedure at CRAPA !!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I find it hard to believe they charged you for a diagnostic. If a car comes into our dealership for a check engine light, the first thing the advisors do is look at/for the gascap. If it doesn't look like a Honda factory cap they tell the cust to go buy one and wait a few days for the light to go off. Worst case, they spent the 1-2 minutes to hook up the tester and get the code on the drive before a tech. even sees the car.
    Go to a different dealer or have Autozone get the code for you.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The car is a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS coupe. I do not now, have never, and never will own a got dang Honda. (Sorry, just felt majorly insulted by the thought of owning a Honda) All the GM stealerships around here charge for a diagnostic. Been dealing with a smaller local shop (Non-dealership) and they ran every test they could. The dealership found the leak by running a smoke test.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Of course they charge a diagnostic, if I'm gonna diagnose your car for 30 minutes with a computer which, with software, can cost $8,000+...I want some cash.

These cars (toyotas especially) with OBD2 sense an open gas cap as a loss of pressure in the system and send up a light for an emmission problem. Problem is, Toyotas don't always let the light shut back off, and they need to be cleared by computer.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I take mine to auto zone where they test it free. If they are wrong, I have a cheap (normally) useless part. Thing is that they have been spot on so far.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

That is a slow 8,000 dollar computer to take half an hour to pull up a code. The one at autozone takes about 15 seconds.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Lets see... Cheap, reliable, fuel efficient, high resale value. Yeah I see how that would insult some people.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Let's see, cheap worthless jap crap, under powered, no more reliable then a domestic, people point and laugh, no pride in being a american. Yeap, insulting LOL. No, it's a personal thing. I'm a proud American and buy American cars. No offence intended, buy what ever you want, but I will never spend my money on a jap car. Yes, I know that most american cars are full of jap parts, and that alot of jap cars are now built here in the US, but I will stay with GM products.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

But the ones at Autozone do NO diagnostics. They have the $100 thing that can only pull and clear codes. It can't tell you about the actual vaccum readings of the EVAP system or dependent upon the system, where the leak actually is. Just that there is a leak(if that is the code it even throws).

Auto Zone said I needed O2 sensors. Rich condition O2 sensors. I was stupid and got them. I needed a fuel pressure regulator. Codes are only a starting point.

10. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I always try to avoid going to a dealership until I reach the point where i just cannot figgure it out. Then I bite the bullet and bend over. But....... when I do take it to the dealership the DO figure out the problem for me. I just hate it when I cannot figure some of this stuff out for myself. :doah:

I would be very pissed off at Crappa for selling me the wrong part that caused me to spend over a hundred bucks on a gas cap.

11. 89GMCSuburban

Sled Dog hit it on the head.....welcome to the world of being a mechanic for a living. Not like there's a code for "gas cap is the wrong size"

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

BINGO !!!!!! Hence this thread.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If a car came in with an "evap. leak" code, wouldn't you check the cap first?

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Replaced the original cap (Broke in two peices) with one from NAPA. Okay, I don't own a code reader, and the small shop (D&F) we were dealing with replaced that cap with another one from NAPA, so we didn't think that was the problem. I had also just had the float for the gas gauge replaced right before the problem started. D&F had the tank back out 3 times looking for problem before I ended up taking it too the dealership for diagnostic. When they (D&F) would reset the codes, the light wouldn't come back on for atleast 3 days, sometimes not for week. D&F doesn't have the equipment too preform the smoke test. The dealership does. I just hate having too pay for a diagnostic when the smaller shops do them for free.

15. 89GMCSuburban

If I get one that says on the ticket "Check and Advise : CEL on for evap. leak, customer replaced gas cap and still on", it depends. It would come in as a non-warranty ticket. If a guy is bringing in a car that ISN'T under warranty to a dealership, he probably has more of a problem than the gas cap. But regardless, I get 7/10ths to diagnose something. That's about 45 minutes. I get that to diagnose something that's obvious....or to spend 2 hours pulling apart the dash to find one broken wire in a harness. Even then, mechanics look at what they see the most often. I'll bet, they don't see too many "wrong gas cap" situations, and see more intake gaskets (on these cars) and things go bad. So what do they check first? Where they see the most failures.
    Even then, I personally don't mess with this small stuff, I'm a diesel tech. If a guy rolls in with a DDEC V EGR Series 60 with a TCO and intake temperature code and the thing has a huge miss, I first:
    A. Check if it's had the 05M2 recall done, make sure it was done properly
    B. Check air filter
    C. Check VNT actuator adjustment
    D. Pressure test CAC for leaks
    E. Pressurize intake side to check for leaks in EGR
    F. Check EGR actuator for sticking valve.........
    etc.
    These are all things I've seen, and they go in order of how many I've seen. I despise the fact that people think mechanics are always trying to rip them off. Christ, I had someone call me a thief because I charged him for a $.99 bottle of windshield washer fluid to fill his reservoir on a oil service/lube/inspection.
    People can be so impatient these days. It takes 25 to 30 hours for an in-frame overhaul if all parts are in-house, but we'll have people call 6 hours later upset the truck isn't done yet. Come try some diagnosis on things that have multiple ECM's, that communicate on two-lead Datalinks, that have 130 pin connectors each with a different use and common grounds.
    This was probably a learning situation for the tech that worked on this. Probably the first time he's seen it, but I'll tell you what, he probably got pulled in the office and got his ass chewed for the time he spent on it. From now on, that will be his first check for that code. Like I spent 4 hours diagnosing a miss and fuel aeration and found they didn't replace the fuel restriction fitting when they did the 05M2. Spent 4 hours for a 3/10th job. You learn the hard way.