Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

114 bolt swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83_chevy_blazer, Dec 3, 2003.

1. 83_chevy_blazer

83_chevy_blazer Registered Member

if i have a 12 bolt and 4 inch lift with tthe 208 do i need a new driveshaft. i am wondering if the 14 bolt with its longer yoke will ram the driveshaft into the t case on the compression. thanks. and where can i pick up a good axle with low gearing. here the junkyard wants four hundred dollars for one.

2. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I bought mine out of the used junk paper. No need to worry about the pinion sticking far out, its not much bigger than your stock diff. If it is any then it will compensate for your lift.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Did you have the driveshaft lengthened when you lifted your Blazer 4"?

I had to have my rear shaft lenghtened when I lited my Burb 4". I went from a 12 bolt to a 14BFF and did not need to modify the d-shaft after the swap. I roughly measured the difference from yoke centerline to axle centerline between the two axles and came up with about 11/16" difference.....the 14BFF being longer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

One advantage of joining CK5 is the access to the For Sale forum. There is usually one or two 14BFF's for sale in there at all times. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 83_chevy_blazer

83_chevy_blazer Registered Member

hey thanks for the info since i just counted my ring and pinion on my 12 bolt and found them to be 47 and 18 give or take 1 i think i am going to need a new axle. i dont think i can do all the shimming myself so i think it would be the same price to get new gears or get a new axle.what size can i go to before needing a new carier?

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wow, this is going to be impressive, a 114 bolt swap. What did those come in? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Anyhow, if you are lifting the vehicle and swapping in a 14 bolt ff you probably wont have to do anything to the driveshaft.

6. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

A 114 bolt swap? Wow! I wonder if they make one with steering? It should be stronger than a D60, 70, or 80!

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

the pinion on a 14ff is the same length (or very close) as a 10 bolt. I am not sure about the 12 bolt. My shaft bolted right up when I did my swap before the lift.

Now a 60F is longer than a 10 bolt. A 2 1/2" lift will be just about right for a stock front drive shaft to work. But now my rear is too short. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The 14bff pinion is 7/8" longer than a 10 bolt.