Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

11r22.5 tires on a 1 ton k5, how much lift is needed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, Feb 26, 2004.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

tires are about 12 inches wide by 40 inches tall... I can get a set for nothing so the cost is just the wheels from stockton wheel.....about 100.00 ea/steel
    k5 has beefed one tons with a 4 inch rancho kit with fully trimmed fenders....
    for those of you that run 40s... what lift really was necessary .. daily driver/trail user..... ?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Are these tires the size of those on the front of larger cement mixer trucks? If so, I would not run them. I read somewhere in a story about Bigfoot (yes, the original monster truck) running that size of a tire on 2.5 ton Rockwell axles and they mentioned how they had so much trouble with that specific tire size as they kept breaking axle shafts all the time. Did not say exactly what or how they were breaking them but they did say they quickly switched to a different tire and size.

My guess is the tire is way too heavy for the intended axle use. If they can snap the 2.5 ton shafts, I don't even want to think what they can do to 1 ton axles. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I only run a 6" lift and can clear 42s easily with no rubbing at all.
    but I run hannaman fiberglass fenders with no fenderwells so there is a ton of room underneath.
    what is the weight on these tires?

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I would like to know. I've been down at the local COOP and seen the guys changing the tires on one of the cement mixers and damn, those things do not look light. If I could guestimate by a visual, I would have to say the tire/rim combo would prolly be around 250-350 lbs.-ish. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The front wheels on mixers and dump trucks are called super singles. Not what he is talking about.
    He is talking about regular drive wheels.
    I use a wheel dolly to remove the super single wheels.
    They are becoming popular on the drive axles now as well.
    Never weighed one but it is more than I want to toss around.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

they are heavy... because they are 12 ply... and no they arent the super singles for the mixers these were made for the military..
    sounds like too much hassle...
    there are hmmmer tires new on the internet...with wheels for about what the wheels would cost,,,
    by the way I think the "Turtle" f350 runs tires like this if I recall
    thanks for your input
    cam

7. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I would like to know. I've been down at the local COOP and seen the guys changing the tires on one of the cement mixers and damn, those things do not look light. If I could guestimate by a visual, I would have to say the tire/rim combo would prolly be around 250-350 lbs.-ish. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif