Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt 5 lug -convert to 6 lug?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rolled, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I was going to pick up another 12 bolt and it turned out to be 5 lug. Can I just swap the axels? Was there anything different besides the brakes and axels? It was still the same beast, right?

2. VirginiaBulldog

VirginiaBulldog Registered Member

i've never heard of a 12 bolt out of a gmc truck that had 5 lugs, may be wrong.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

From '70-onward 5 & 6 lug 12-bolt axle shafts are interchangable (with matching drums of course).

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i've never heard of a 12 bolt out of a gmc truck that had 5 lugs, may be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
    2wd

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Ya, 2WD - Go to the junk yard and take a look around. They are everywhere...

I think I'll gamble on it and see if it works. I see no visible reason why it would'nt. I am just tired of being surprised /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Should work. Only differencein 2wd and 4wd axles is the bolt pattern. I think this was even written up in FourWheeler in the last 6 months or so.

7. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

AS LONG AS THE SLINE COUNT IS THE SAME, YOUR 6 LUG AXLES WILL GO RIGHT IN .

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I've been looking at rear ends and wrecking yards all day. No 3.73's /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW - what do you guys do to axles? All the 1/2 ton 4x4 axles are all pulled and missing. I must have seen 30 or so like that. You guys must bend/break those things all the time huh? Its driving me crazy trying to find a replacement 12 bolt. I am about ready to throw in a temp 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

One more question - I did see a 12 bolt 3.73 complete just lying on the ground but it had the spring perch welded at an angle. It also looked like there was a shock mount on top the diff. This was at a 4x4 junk yard so I assume there was a reason for this. Anybody know why?

9. bigblock44k5

somebody tried some kind of weird shock setup who knows. as for the spring perch, the axle tube might have spun inside the centersection. this usually happens to both tubes at the same time though.

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I did have an extra set and don't need them now.I'll look tomorrow to make sure I've still got them,if I do,you pay the shipping and I'll send them to you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

The rear was good. It was obvious it was welded that way on purpose. It almost looked as if they moved the front spring hanger towards the middle of the truck. Maybe they were just trying some new ideas out. I guess it did not work since it is lying in a junk yard /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ZonkRat -

I found a local 12 3.73 I can get tomorrow but the guy wants $200. That's after I talked him down from $275. The last one cost me $50. I'm sure that will be cheaper than shipping one to me. Thanks anyways.

12. bigblock44k5

what is wrong with the 12 you have now? can you just replace the senter section? would be alot cheaper.

13. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Gear chatter when I decelerate. I thought about fixing/rebuilding it but I don't have the time to teach myself the correct way to do it. We have purchased a new house and I have a huge list of things I need to do to sell my current house. So any Blazer projects, right now, must be fast or easy. I have more money than time so I am just going to patch it up with a *good* used rear.

I hope to track down a 6 lug 14sf but they seem to be a bit scarce right now.

14. bigblock44k5

Have you tried going to a junk yard that communicates with other ones? Usually they can get them from other junk yards. Or try the junk yards that have been around for awhile and have the old old car way in the back. A lot of those chevy's should have 12 bolts hopefully.

15. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I've been to many. The problem is they all say they have one but that is just to get me in there to check for myself and they are all 3.08 and a few 3.42's. I even found a 4.11 (with a matching front) but no 3.73's.

I did find a yard that pulls their parts themselves but the wanted /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif $650 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif .

I guess I'll be crawling under trucks again today...

16. bigblock44k5

4.11's sound pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if you were closer i got one in the backyard after i did the 3/4 ton conversion.