Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 Bolt 5 lug to 8 lug conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Oct 7, 2002.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to convert a 12 bolt 5 lug GM axle to 8 lug? Would it be too hard? The reason I ask is that we have a few 12 bolt axles layin around from my dad's drag racing days but they are all 5 lug. I know they're not that much stronger than 10 bolts but for bein free I think it would be worth it. Thx

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i know that a 12 bolt 6 lug conversion could be done by swaping axles and drums, dont know about the8 lug tho, that sounds like major payne becuase you would probly have to fab up some axles and drums, but hey, just about anything is possible if you got the know-how to do it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

You may be able to do it by getting longer wheel studs and then having some custom wheel spacers/adapters made. I don't know if it would work, but that's the simplest way I kow of.

Will

4. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

why dont you just look for a 3/4 14 bolt there are plenty around and cheap enough. I would think doing the 8 lug conversion on a 12 bolt if it is possible would prolly cost way more than a 14 bolt which would be way stronger too. JUst my input /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Another thing to remember is that if these are left over from someones "racing days" these are probably a passenger car 12 bolt axle which is not as strong as a truck axle and also the carriers do not interchange between car and truck 12 bolts.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Ok, your prolly right about the car carrier as they were either in his 69 Chevelle or 76 Camaro. The reason I dont want to look for new axles around here is because there aren't any. Anything that's worht anything gets shipped down to Mexico /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, it really sux. If I do ever get a new axle it will probabaly come from up north.