Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 Bolt aftermarket shafts:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bronckelly, May 10, 2005.

1. Bronckelly

Bronckelly Registered Member

What spline shafts came in a 69-72 K5 12 bolt? Next q: Where can i find a set of aftermarket heavy duty (more splines) axle shafts for the 12 bolt? My 1st Gen. is a 71. I know a 14 bolt ff is the way to go here, but just in case i go the 12 bolt build route....could someone tell me where and how much i should pay for the hd 12 shafts?.......and up to what size tires the 12 bolts can stand?

Thx in Advance,

BroncKelly

2. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Got mine from Offroad Design that has a forum here. They are 30 spline and I believe they were around $105 each. ORD states that you shouldn't have any problems up to 35 inch tires. Depends on how you drive I suppose but if you use a lot of the skinny pedal you should probably go to the 14ff. Don't know if different years had different splines or if others are out there. Hope that helps. :grin:

3. Bronckelly

Bronckelly Registered Member

Thx,

What size tires are you running?.......scratch that....I see you have 33's.

BroncKelly

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Superior makes the best axles out there...but you will pay for them. I think at least one company makes a 33-spline spool (mark williams?) but everything else will just be stock 30-spline.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would recommend Superior axles for your 12 bolt. I wheel with Therobzilla alot and he runs the Superior 12 bolt shafts and they are pretty damn tough. He has beat the hell out of them and has only had 1 problem with them. He spun an axle tube and twisted the splines on one of the shafts. Superior sent him a new shaft.

He has yet to break one.

Harley

6. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

Outta curiosity what size tires and vehicle setup does Therobzilla have?

I ask because i have a 6 cyl, automatic, 30:1 crawl (without torque multiplication) 3000 lb total weight tube Buggy built on a blazer frame turning 39.5 boggers on a 12 bolt
    and i just did the same thing to my rear axle after adding a torque arm to stop my massive spring wrap (i had been beating on that axle with 38" TSL's for about six years though)

After that happened i decided to go Dana 60 rear till two weeks ago when i saw a buddy destroy a rear 60 and a front 30 spline 60 stub on 39.5 TSL's, in a similary setup vehicle, on a milder obstical without using skinny pedal

i decided at that point to stay 12 bolt, weld the tubes to the center and just brace it up

so how much abuse that fellow is putting in his would help me gage my setup alot better

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Rob runs a 72K5. It weighs in around 5400lbs I believe. He runs 35" tires, healthy TPI 350, TH350, Doubler, and D44 &12 axles. They are locked up. He rock crawls the piss out of it. It is a trailered truck and he has been beating on it for about 4-5 years now. The axles used to be under another trail truck of his he used at Tellico when he lived on the East coast.

Any trail in AZ that a fullsize K5 can fit on and some that they can't Rob has run pretty much. If your rig is that light and has that type of gearing I wouldn't worry about a 12 bolt with Superiors.

Another guy I wheeled with has a Jeep Buggy on 1/2 ton Chevy's with Chromo's and 39.5's. He runs a mild 350SBC and SM420&D300. He has run basically every hard trail in AZ and has not has a problem with the 12 bolt.

He is actually a 2 time finisher of the Arizona Undertakers Marathon run. It was featured in 4 Wheel Drive and SUV mag a few months ago.

Teams of 2 guys get together and run 8 of the hardest trails in Florence Junction AZ in 1 day. If they survive the first day they move to Table Mesa AZ. They run 6-7 of the hardest trails at TM the next day whoever has the fastest overall time wins.

He has completed the Marathon twice. He is only 1 or 4 guys to have completed the Marathon twice if that tells you how hard it is. All on a D44 and 12 bolt.

Harley

8. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

thank you, that really helps the old comfort level :D

I've had very little trouble with the 12 bolt till i installed the 39.5x18 boggers
    and i was worried this was the straw that broke the camels back per say

thanks again

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm running the Superior shafts. Like already said around $105ea from ORD.

I'm running 37s, Detroit, and mild 350, but I'm also pretty cautious. I've only had this setup on one trail run (China Wall), but the season is just starting. :D

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I got some 6 lug 30 spline MOSER shafts I am selling brand new still in box. :cool1: