Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt and 10 bolt u-joint same?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Mar 18, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

During the next couple of weeks I will be replacing my 10 bolt rear with a welded 12 bolt with 4.11's and when we change the gears in the front we will move my lock-right which was in the rear to the front. My question is if the 10 and 12 bolt u-joint the same or do I need a conversion u-joint? If I do does somebody know the part number? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Since both axles are half-tons, you shouldn't need a conversion u-joint. Your current u-joint (1310) in your driveshaft should bolt right up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    10 bolts are a 1330 joint
    12 bolts are a 1310 joint
    These joints have the same size caps but the 1330 is wider.

You need a conversion joint part number 3-3130 Brute force from autozone
    .........OR.........
    Use a 10 bolt pinion seal on your 12bolt and use the 10 bolt yoke. Make sure you don't mess up the crush sleeve.

Blake

4. bajaviking

Is there any real difference in strenght between the 2 or is it too little to worry about.

5. bajaviking

I am talking about difference between the yokes. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have to look but I think they gave me the wrong Brute Force joint at Autozone. I put it in and it slides back and forth in the yoke. Its not play in the bearings its just the end caps actually sliding in the yoke with the straps tight as they get. I went last night and bought 2 new greasable joints to rebuild my other shaft then take the Brute Force back and figure out wahts going on.

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

ColAdo82K5 is right. i had a 12 bolt in my 91 for about 3 weeks and when the 12 bolt was sold to ColAdo82K5 the u-joint that i was using was sold to him as well.

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

That shows you what I know about 10 bolts! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bajaviking

What about all the brake stuff, is that all the same? Can I move the drums and pads and everything else over to the 12 bolt?

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What about all the brake stuff, is that all the same? Can I move the drums and pads and everything else over to the 12 bolt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what width you have.
    I had a few axles 12 bolts and 10 bolts and both have 2 different widths IIRC 2" and 2.5" shoes.
    Other wise the interchange.
    If you remove everything from backing plate and out, you can put it on any axle 10 or 12bolt.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a few axles 12 bolts and 10 bolts and both have 2 different widths IIRC 2" and 2.5" shoes.
    If you remove everything from backing plate and out, you can put it on any axle 10 or 12bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah youre gonna have to look and see what each axle has, the Big 10 brakes are 11 5/8 x 2.75" and the standard light duty brakes are 11x2"

both use different backing plates youd have to swap them to convert from one to the other, shafts are all same length in the axles

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah youre gonna have to look and see what each axle has, the Big 10 brakes are 11 5/8 x 2.75" and the standard light duty brakes are 11x2"

both use different backing plates youd have to swap them to convert from one to the other, shafts are all same length in the axles

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually for the axles, there is a slight difference, not enough to be a concern and many have swapped from 12 to 10 bolt and vice versa. There is a thread here were they have exact measurements of the axles.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif