Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 Bolt and 14 Bolt Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bottomfeeder, Aug 17, 2004.

1. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder 1/2 ton status

Can 4.56 gears be installed in a 12 Bolt and still hold up well? What is the bolt pattern on the 14 Bolt? I am trying to make a desision on replacing my bent 12 bolt. If I go with the 14, I have to get new rims and possbly new tires. Thanx

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Can 4.56 gears be installed in a 12 Bolt and still hold up well? What is the bolt pattern on the 14 Bolt? I am trying to make a desision on replacing my bent 12 bolt. If I go with the 14, I have to get new rims and possbly new tires. Thanx

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Or you could use a 8 to 6 lug adaptor. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I personally think that the 14 bolt FF is the best choice.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

If you have or can get the 14 bolt, I would do that..then with a little work you cna use your 6 lug rims on the 14 bolt...
    [​IMG]

4. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

another option is to find an 88-98 6 lug 14 bolt SF

5. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

just get the 14bolt and get new wheels...once U factor in the cost of wheel adaptors then the fact that u have to have the 14bolt hub machined down...it aint worth it...believe me I looked into it hard b4 I finally cracked and just got new wheels!

6. bottomfeeder

I am having trouble finding a front axle with 8 lugs. Would it be advisable to have 4.56's installed in the D44?

Is this the correct bolt patern and backspace:
    Wheel, Series 70, 15 in. x 10 in., 8 x 6.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4 1/4 in. Backspace

Wheel, Series 70, 15 in. x 8 in., 8 x 6.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4 1/4 in. Backspace

Thanx again for the help

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

thats the bolt pattern and thats the wheel I just got...chrome spoke right? it kinda sux when u start to look into it but there aint much for wheel selection in the 8lug 15 inch catagory /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif what Im gonna do is keep my front 6lug so I dont have to grind the brake caliper down to fit the 15's like u would on an 8lugger then Im gonna have my spare tire be an 8lug and have a wheel adaptor made up that will be a 6-8 lug adaptor...so basically if I get a flat on my rear Im good to go, and if its my front, I just slap the adaptor on, then toss on the 8lug spare...sure the front will be like 1 or 2 inches wider on one side, but its just till I get home or wherever and get the flat fixed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif maybe thats an idea you can look into /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bottomfeeder

So, the 8 lug 6.5 is the right pattern? How much are 8 to 6 adapters?

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    just get the 14bolt and get new wheels...once U factor in the cost of wheel adaptors then the fact that u have to have the 14bolt hub machined down...it aint worth it...believe me I looked into it hard b4 I finally cracked and just got new wheels!

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked into all of this too..

new rims 5 @ $50.00 each thats with 15" rims = $250.00

find and install the 8 lug front hubs.

If you want nice rims add $100.00 to each rim plus the cost of 16.5" tires....

the 8 to 6 spacer is $165.00 plus shipping, work on the rear hub is around $100.00 to $125.00

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

4.56's are fine in a D44 front.

A 12 bolt CAN last in AZ wheeling depending on the setup. Don't let everyone tell you that a 14bff is mandatory to go offroad because they are wrong.

I run a 14bff because I want the ultimate in offroad, and I made the choice before I knew all the facts about wheeling in Arizona.

I run with guys from this board that run 12 bolt rears with little problem. TheRobZilla runs a 12 bolt rear in a truck that is as hardcore as they get. It took him 2 years to snap a 12 bolt rear axleshaft, and it only snapped from fatigue. He now runs Chromo axles because he can afford them and he didn't want to break them again.

Marv Springer ran a 12 bolt for years in his old Green Blazer and now those axles are going into his new buggy project. There are a few other guys who still run 1/2 ton rears offroad here too.

Granted if you want to run larger then 35" tires in hard offroading then a 14bff might be a good idea. I would suggest you take a run with some of the AZ guys from here. There will probably be a few 1/2 trucks there and you will probably be amazed at what can be done with 1/2 ton gear.

Harley

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

1/2 ton is over rated. They need to make king pins for a D44. You can get your 12B cromo'd for around the price of a 14FF w/wheels & front end, or a 14FF with 6 lug adapters + machining. Then you won't drag the thing all over. The 14FF does have that install and forget bonus. You can pedal pounce the thing all you want and it usually giggles.

just my .02

PS hossbaby runs a 14FF and cheap 8 lug steel wheels /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

13. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i want to know where you are finding new 8 lug 15" rims for 50 bucks....

i'm doing the 8 lug conversion on the front, just seems simplier to me.

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There are a dozen of places to get the 8 lug 15". They were $30 but with the price of steel going up they are $50.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I can still get 8s for 35 and 10s for 40 I think.

16. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i want to know where you are finding new 8 lug 15" rims for 50 bucks....

i'm doing the 8 lug conversion on the front, just seems simplier to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much the cost of the rims, but rather the look of a steel stamped rim, you get like 2 rims to pick from /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif...some guys like the alum rims and all the choice they have when looking for them. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. bottomfeeder

Thanx for all the tips and help.

So, since I have to replace the rear end anyway, I might just as well put in the 14b, do the 4.56 gears, detroit locker, install 4.56 in the D44 maybe, or maybe not, swap in the 8 lug rotors up front and be done with it until I trash the D44. Then I go ahead and replace that too.

I have been on various AZ trails in my Montero

[​IMG]

It has been very capable rig for its size. I am, however, looking forward to getting my K5 on into the dusty, rocky trails of AZ. I going to go ahead and order the rims right now from summitracing.com They are 39.88 each

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd probably run rear discs with Superior shafts in a 12 bolt if you don't plan on going too big in the tire department or weight department.

19. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that like "Middle Woodpecker"?! ... right by the turn off to Woody's Wash?/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Marv

20. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Myself , I 'd run the 12 bolt . Just carry spare shafts . Both of my trucks are 12 bolt . You wouldn't drag your axle all over the rocks either . I have run some easier stuff and some medium stuff with great success . Rob and Marv and others put thier trucks in places I couldn't take Blazer number 1 ( but will Blazer number 2 ) , and the 12 bolts live to do it again . If its just a matter of you bent the tubes , you could truss over the top of the axle . Even the pinion bearings , which is the only real worry spot , will live if you drive with finesee . Most broken axles are from too much throttle pedal when stuck or crossed up anyways when off road , or from going to low to high traction really fast while on it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[​IMG]