Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt ARB

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer72, Apr 18, 2000.

1. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Not a really good thing It seems that ARB is having problems with AR12 which is the air lockers for 12 bolt axle it seems that the unit can lock with just one of the side gear/ pinion gears teeth being engaged, putting the full power of the axel look on that one tooth!!! Breaking the tooth off which can then get in between the ring and pinion trashing them, the air looker and most off the time the rear housing. First ARB said this could only happen if the axel was under compression and the locker was open and the window in the locker was faced strait down! So I put a truss on the housing.

Still shattered the side gear! Now ARB says that they are redoing gear timing on the spiders|side gears But they don’t know when the new one will be out, and they are not selling the old style, Parts are hard to get now too! I will don’t now what to do for now other than put it back with the new parts that cost more than a new unit, and be nice to it till they get the new ones out in the next year or so!!!!

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

How old is this model.Anyways pitch a bitch.Send them a letter complaining about the inferior product you recieved from them.A company boasting about hardcore offroad equipment sould be concerned.Demand satisfaction.Tell them about you telling everybody that it sucks.Never know what can happen.Remember "You have not,Because you ask not".And it might make you feel better anyways.

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I have all readdy started an E-mail blitz, to ARB in the states and the home office in alzzy land. They asked what tire dia. I was running if it was over 29 inches then they were to big! Problem there is as I told them, my blazer came with 33 new and has 35 now! Then they asked if I was running a V6 or a 4 !!! I said the SB V8 like it came with!! True I have 550 hp, and the stock had like 350 or 375. But ARB think that a V8 is to much when useing a 12 bolt locker!

4. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Nice of them to imform you after you already spent a sh%& load of money.Did it state any of this info in the instruction or literiture any where.Seems like people now don't care and will try too weasel out of anything.Dont think 72 had anything but a v-8.

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

no most had SBv8's a very few had 402 or 396 BB, some had 292 inline six's! I dont think any full size chevyes evey had a 4!!! The rest of the world looks at the 12 bolt as a farely high HP rearend I think too!

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Man, thanks for the post dude. I was actually thinking about putting an Arb air locker in my 12bolt when I saved up enough doe, but I don't think so anymore. I hear Detroit is coming out with an manual locker sometime in the future, might have to wait for that.
    Boss

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

SEE!!!! Everyone thinks the ARBs are the "thing" to have. Well, maybe, if you can get them to NOT GRENADE!!!! Cheapest, bestus locking diff is by far the Detroit...the standard which has been around for 50+ years!!!! Anything less is just that...LESS!!!!

ken