Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt axel and a Blazer Chalet

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mr GearHead, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Mr GearHead

Mr GearHead Registered Member

I am starting my Blazer Chalet project. I have owned a '77 K5 for some time and I bought a Chalet from a junkyard about 5 years ago. Right now I am starting from the ground up so I have a question about the 12 bolt axel. The axel is original and untouched with 3.08 gears. It will need a complete rebuild with 4.11 gears, LS diff, outer bearings, and possibly axles. I am also going to install rear disk brakes. The question is will this axel be ok to build or should I get a 14 bolt to build up? I have 32” BFGs and being a camper it wont see any hard off road use but I will see some. I am going to rebuild the front Dana 44 so one down side is the 8-lug wheel the 14 bolt has. I like my wheels and I do not want to buy different ones. I want to use the 12 bolt so guess my real question is this axel good enough to use under the Chalet? Thanks for the input.

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You'll get a wide range of opinions here since most folks are big fans of 14B...

For what you have described, a 12B should do just fine...an upgrade would be the 14B Semi Floater that came under SS454...it has the 6 lug, and can be found with disc brakes...

I built my 12B similar to what you have in mind...4.10's, Moser 1340H axles, and Auburn Pro...kept the drum brakes for now...the Auburn is not rebuildable, so if that is an issue, you may consider an Eaton w/ spring upgrade or a TruTrac...a selectable locker either electric or ARB is another option...

the weak link in a 12B is the Pinion bearing....the 10B actually has a better one, and someone on here posted way back when about building a 12b with the 10b bearing as an easy fix...another weak link sited is the C-clip design which allows the axle to come out if the clip or axle breaks...the Moser or other Chromemoly axle addresses the broken axle issue adequately...the C-clip itself rarely breaks or fails...a catastrophic failure in the gears/carrier may cause the axle to disassociate itself from the vehicle, but I think this would be unusual to happen at speed (unless you have the factory GovLock)...

There is a Chalet Guru on this site ( don't remember his name offhand, I'm old and forgetful)...

I'm sure I've missed a point or two and there are a Ton of people in here with more expertise and knowledge than me...and they probably are running 14B...

I like the factory Rally wheels enough that I had some 10" built for my 33 BFG Muds...33 BFG AT's on 8" for daily and road trip use...

Before and after pics are always welcome and appreciated...Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The 12b is fine if you drive nice, and don't feed it with a killer motor....

The 14ff can be done cheaper though.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The 14 bolt is cheaper, but if you're trying to restore to original, the 12 bolt would be the way to go.

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

As a part of the www.blazerchalet.com website...and a fellow owner who is gearing up to do a ground up resto...i am going with a 14B FF for my chalet to handle the extra weight....when i first bought my 76 we replaced the axle shafts and bearings plus the spider washers...and i feel it will only be a matter of time before the bearings will eat the shafts again due to the extra weight. Up front i am adding the external spicer hubs with a 8 lug swap to seal the deal...running the spicer hubs to keep things looking old school..

DW

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it is all up to you it is your truck, personally i like 10 bolt better than 12 bolt cuz 10 bolt have stronger pinion stem and such, all is up to you though

good luck

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I have offroaded in the desert with my friend, who has a '76 Chalet. He runs a truss on his 12-bolt, because he has bent the rear axle. The Chalet camper body is heavy to begin with, and can carry a lot of cargo. The suspension needs an upgrade from stock (if you plan to really use it offroad) because the rig tends to have a fore-aft hobbyhorse motion when offroading.
    There is a considerable added load on the rear end because the Chalet sticks out so much in back. It's too heavy for a C-clip axle, just my observation/opinion... Steve

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I've got a 78, sm465/205 with a 12 bolt 308 gears. I rebuilt it with an Eaton limited slip. Works great. I've done some pretty heavy wheeling with it. 33X12.50 tires and stock suspension. The thing amazes me constantly. I've gone through a few drive shafts but that's cuz it's so low. Never had to be towed out though...

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I got to see it.
    I didn't know any were in Atlanta. I have been half hardly looking for one since K5Nutt posted pictures of his.

What Junk Yard was it in?

Check the Pull a part off Moreland. They had a van 14ff. Should be 3.73 or 4.10. They are a little wider then a truck 14. The lower gears will ease up some of the load on the engine and tranny toting the extra weight. Probably find a front D44 or 10 bolt 8 lug there as well. Just stay away from the external hub D44. They ran a smaller u-joint. Look for 74 up.

www.gbr4wd.com Couple of us run with that club.

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Landsmasher...i would asume you have a chalet camper installed on a 78 K5??? or did you miss that? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A chalet is a 76-77 factory K5 with a Chinook camper...installed as a dealer option..

DW

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey your my fawlking neighbor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stew, budy, all ya gotta do is ask this place rocks

give me a call on sunday /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hey and when do you wanna start my TPI install /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

K5 Nutt...

[ QUOTE ]
    i would asume you have a chalet camper installed on a 78 K5??? or did you miss that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was only refering to the 12 bolt... Who cares what you put on top of it? It doesn't sound like he wants to do the Rubicon.... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    For what you have described, a 12B should do just fine...an upgrade would be the 14B Semi Floater that came under SS454...it has the 6 lug, and can be found with disc brakes...

[/ QUOTE ]
    This was 5 lug, light-duty 3/4 ton was 6 lug.

14. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Not trying to mess with you smasher...the chalet camper adds alot of excess weight to the K5...better put...it changes the center of gravity quite a bit so they don't handle like a normal K5. I've owned my chalet for 5 years now and the first time you drive one you really have to get used to the caster changing dramatically when approaching road speed...on the plus side...i have takin mine places it most likely didn't belong....and due to the extra weight it puts on the rear axle...it helps out in the traction department...but after the axle bearing issue i mentioned...adding a rear sway bar and air bags...i truely believe the 14 B FF would be the way to go for a chalet.

My 79 on the other hand...still has the 10 bolt front and the 12 bolt rear....front has an auburn L/S...rear has a detroit with 4.10 gearing on 35's...and with carefull use of the skinny pedal....it holds up just fine to any trail i have encountered from arizona...to colorado...and moab over the last 4 years....and my dear friend marv springer had close to if not more than 200K on his similiary equipt 76 K5 trail rig...with no problems...basically i agree that a 12 bolt can withstand a rational amount of abuse and still live to tell the tale...however a factory equipt Chalet K5 is another issue all together...

DW