Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 Bolt Axle Seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MICHIGAN BLAZER, Jun 29, 2000.

1. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I've been cruising through the old posts about replacing axle seals.....not too many on the rear. Most of them were for the front axle seals. I read a really detailed and well explained post from Grim...I mean really detailed. From what I've gathered from these posts is that this is not going to be a fun job. I guess my question is....is the rear terribly different from doing a front seal? ...it's probably a little easier(not so much stuff to take off to get to the shaft)....but I'm more concerned about removing the whole carrier situation. Is a 12 bolt going to be easier, harder or the same w/pain in the @ss levels for the carrier removal? I need to replace both pinion seals on my truck, and I'm figuring my front u-joint will fall apart when I take that out and now my driver's side rear axle seal is leaking all over my brakes....(would probably account for my crappy brake situation)....the 12 bolt is from 1970-somthing...while I'm in there should I replace the passenger side seal too?....oh yeah in case it matters, it's an open carrier w/3.42's mucho thanx...as always

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k. the seals on a 12 bolt rear axle are not in the carrier area, they are on the ends of the housing and they are easier to change than the front inner ones. You have to remove the breake drums and axle shafts to change them, once you do that, the come out with a large screwdriver and tap in with a dead blow hammer or block of wood. They look just like the front wheel bearing seals on the front axle.

While you have it apart you might as well change both sides, also check the thrust washers on the side gears and the spider gears, they have a bad habbit of cracking and breaking apart. The pinion seal is easy once you get the pinion nut and yoke off of it. The yoke sometimes is a bitch and will require a puller. Dont beat it back on, work it on, there is a crush sleeve in the pinion for setting the gear pattern and you dont want to mess it up, you wont crush it anymore if you reinstall with a 12" rachet.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

HAd a bad experienc ewith the stockers on an 87 1/2 ton Step Side. Damn things wouldn't come out, we even had a slide-hammer. Ended up taking the whole housing off & taking to a shop to use the Acetalyn(sp) to heat it up, then they came right out. Anyway I'd suggest lining up a slide-hammer just in case.

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

While you got it apart inspect your wheel bearings and the lands on the axles where they ride. Hopefully there won't be any pitting or excessive wear. I would suggest changing the bearings since you have it apart. You'll need a bearing puller which most parts stores will loan you. Mine came out in as many pieces as there are bearings, but it came out. Wasn't too bad, just kinda messy. Good luck with it.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?