Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jedifish, Feb 22, 2004.

1. jedifish

jedifish Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifI know that the front axle of my 84' K5 is a 12 bolt, but what should the rear be? Is this normal to have a 12 bolt front for that year? So should the rear be a 10bolt or the same as the front? I want to know cause I am still learning about this K5. and want to know what is not original. Thanks!!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

No 12 bolt front axles were ever made unless someone had one custom built in the aftermarket. Your front axle should be a Dana 44 or 10 bolt. An 84 should have a 10 bolt front. The original rear for that truck should be a 10 bolt also. There is an axle identification guide in the tech section of the main page here.

Harley

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Congradulations, on the 12 bolt front, you are one
    of only three that I know of.
    Are you sure its a 12 bolt front ?
    Also welcome to CK5 !

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifI know that the front axle of my 84' K5 is a 12 bolt, but what should the rear be? Is this normal to have a 12 bolt front for that year? So should the rear be a 10bolt or the same as the front? I want to know cause I am still learning about this K5. and want to know what is not original. Thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome!

There are many technical articles available in the Tec section of ColoradoK5.com. The one you want to look at is the axle identification guide.

That should help you identify your axles.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Sweet! The elusive front 12 bolt has reared it's ugly head again! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif