Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt car ring and pinion in a 12 bolt truck housing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by weisel, Feb 17, 2003.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Is this possible. I know the pinion diamiter is larger in the car 12 bolt. And I want to know if I can put the larger pinion in my truck axle housing.

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

it would be nice to have the thicker pinion.couldnt you go to a bearing/machine shop and see if they can get a bigger inner diameter bearing with the same diameter outer to fit in the same houseing.just a thought but i dont know that it is possible or not.then you would have to get the right yolk for it.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Yes it is possible . Like said above you will need to match up the i.d. and o.d. of the bearings, but I think that you will end up w/ pinion bearings with less capacity and it might not last like you are expecting them to. That is O.K. for race applications but if you want street driving than your up-keep is going to greatly increase.
    Tom

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Just curious. I'll just instal the truck gear set and call it good. I probably break something else first before I twist the pinion in two anyways! And longevity is what I am after, so bigger, more capable bearings are very important.

5. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

I broke 2 pinions (both Richmond Gear, less than 1yr old) in my truck before switching to the car gears. I was breaking teeth due to flex of the pinion shaft. The only difference is the rear bearing & shaft dia at the pinion end is larger. An install kit is available with all required parts to make this swap. This mod was recommended to me by an engineer at U.S. Gear. After switching to the car gears, I never had another problem with them. Try the U.S. Gear brand out, I have had better luck with them over some of the other brands. (less breakage & quieter running)