Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt carrier

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by mdm365, Jul 24, 2002.

1. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

does anyone have a 12 bolt chevy carrier need one real bad.please e-mail me mmdm563@hotmail.com

2. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

only 3 hours and bumping to the top.../forums/images/icons/confused.gif

quick question though. What ratio do you need? I think the carrier is only good for a certain range (like 3.07-3.73).

4. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

kenny the the 12 bolt has 308s I cant find a good rear carrier the passanger carrier bearing spun on the carrier snout and the bearing slides right on.found one brand new but not in the buget 400.00 dollars for and open diff.live in vegas things are high here.thanks oh ttt sorry need this thing bad got to move the thing from mt brothers before this wednesday.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I've got a 12 bolt carrier with a 3.08 ring gear on it....It's welded though, and the bolt that holds the cross pin in is busted off in the carrier...If you want to mess with all that, you can have it for the cost of shipping......Another option is to check e-bay....You can find those things on there quite a bit. Good luck. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

I am sure i can hook you up but i want 2 dbl check 2 make sure willl check in tomorrow night with what i got

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have a 12 bolt with a bad pinion bearing. It had 3.73 gears but the carrier should be the same as yours. As long as it checks out good $25 + shipping and you will be able to tow the truck at a minimum.

8. crossy

crossy 1/2 ton status

let me know if you still need a good one .I tried your hotmail it it got kicked back. DAVE

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

3.73 carriers are not same as 3.07 carriers, the split is from 3.40 to 3.73

2.76-3.40 use series 3 and 3.73-4.88 use series 4

the difference is in the mounting flange for the ring gear where its located from one or the other end of the carrier, they are about 1/2" differnce from 3 to 4 series, IE the ring gears for series 4 are way thinner than for series 3 because of how small diameter the series 4 pinion gears are, they tried to fix some of it by moving the ring gear mounting surface on the 4 carriers over to compensate for that to a degree, you can tell the difference between both series with a tape measure. series 4 carrier gear mounting flange is 5" away from the outside edge of bearing thats pressed on to the end of the carrier farthest away from it.
    series 3 wil be about 5.5" distance.

go to randysringandpinion tech section to learn why and how this works.

personally i have yet to see a truck 12 bolt that has 3.08, always use 3.07 from what ive always seen,

the 8.5" 10 bolts maybe used 3.08 however