Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt carriers - Did a search

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aztec777, Dec 9, 2003.

1. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

Can I install a 4 series carrier in a housing that ran a 3 series carrier? This is for a 12 bolt that ran 3:08's and I want to install 3:73's. Thanks for the help.

Steve

2. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

im in the same boat as you, only the 3.08 is in the front and 2.73 in the back

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Yes, the housings are the same, jsut the carriers are different and it appears you already know about the carrier breaks. If you need a series four carrier and set of 3.73....PM me. Got them here.
    Blake

4. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

Blake,

Thanks for the information. I'm at a crossroads right now. Don't know if I should fix/build my 12 bolt or just buy a 14BFF/D44 set. I'm leaning towards fixing my wimpy axle to get me by and upgrading after the holidays. That always breaks me.

the excuse, do you need a set of 3:08's or 3:73's?

Steve

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

but man that 14 bolt would solve two problems, reliability and axle ratio /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i wouldnt spend much at all on a truck 12 bolt, just not worth it really, but if you do then make sure you locktight the pinion nut threads really well

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm at a crossroads right now. Don't know if I should fix/build my 12 bolt or just buy a 14BFF/D44 set. I'm leaning towards fixing my wimpy axle to get me by and upgrading after the holidays. That always breaks me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my experience:

Grenaded 12 bolt = new gears, LSD, install kit, labor: $875

Installed D44 & 14BFF = axles, new seals/bearings etc, new rims: $900 or so.

Hind-sight is always 20/20! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im in the same boat as you, only the 3.08 is in the front and 2.73 in the back

[/ QUOTE ] Hey, I've got a series 4 carrier and brand new 12 bolt gears, PM me if interested, I'm pretty close to you.