Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 Bolt Carrierv - How Much Play?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cleszkie, Mar 8, 2002.

1. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

When my K5 is parked (TH350 in park, parking brake on, transfer case in neutral), how much should I be able to rotate the rear driveshaft before the carrier/ring and pinion take up the slack? I suspect that my carrier has some slop in it due to what I percieve as excessive rotation, and some "clunking" before I come to a stop, a few feet into acceleration from stop, and when shifting into reverse (there was a post with someone with identical symptoms and it turned out to be carrier slop).

I have already thoroughly checked out the U-joints, slip yoke, and transmission and have found no problems.

Any opinions, comments, info is much appreciated.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

You should only have a few degrees worth of travel in either direction before the pinion tooth contacts the ring tooth, given that the backlash is set up correctly. I have a bit more play in my rear end because the gears are worn out.