Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt disc conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Could someone who's done this post all the parts I need to do this, the homemade/cheap way. I know there was a thread on this a few weeks back. This should be a fall project for me.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Use the exact same front hardware on the rear. You will need to mount the rotor on the backside of the axle flange. Substitute Caddy calipers if you like parking brakes.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Order a TSM kit that includes rotors and brackets for about $250. Buy the cheapest calipers if you want. 79-85 Eldorado if you want parking brake, 78-83 Monte Carlo if you don't. Install, bleed, enjoy.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, if you havent been watching, I just finished this swap. I used stock front back plates, cut to fit over the axle tubes and bolted from the back, Stock brake calipers, stock rotors, bolted to the back of the axle shafts, a few new lines (stock rubber front lines) and a bunch of fluid. Steve Frisbie did this swap and thats where I got my info (credit where credit is due... thanks Steve).
    The back plates I had laying around, the calipers cost me 21.00 each, the rotors cost me 37.00 each, the lines cost me about 30.00 each, new front studs for the rear axles cost me 42.00 and thats it. I am haveing a problem getting them to work however... I believe that my proportioning valve is shot and stuck in the position where the rear brakes are shut off, so its either buy a new valve (130.00 from GM) or get one of those adjustable prop valves from somewhere. I will let ya know tomorrow what my decision is and if it works.
    I have posts all over the place looking for help on the problem, but not much info so far. Overall it was a very easy project, and everything lined up perfectly.
    Good Luck

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>