Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt drums

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I am having one HECK of a time getting my drums off.I think I have tried about everything. I need to replace my wheel cylinders in a bad way. so does any one have a good idea
    so I can get them off?

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Back off shoes. There is an opening in the backing plate at the bottom. You will have to use 2 screwdrivers. Use one to hold up adjuster and the other to back off shoes. There is a tool made for this but I found screwdriver works just as well.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There is also a slot in the drum. Geting at it from both sides might make it easer. BTW the threads on the adjuster are not both Right Hand (I forgit which is which). Also sometimes the drums rust onto the axle shaft. If that is the case the use of some penitrating oil and gentle use of a hammer would be the way to go.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

4. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I just beat it with a hammer until it pops off. They WILL pop off you just have to be patient and hope your neighbors don't get too upset at all the racket. Just keep poundin' on 'em. ;)

HTH,

72 K-5, 33x12.5's, 350/350/205,12-bR,d44F soon to be 39.5'x15.5s, EFI502/nv4500/doubler205, d60F, d70R. Stay tuned.