Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt fluid fill

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dremu, Apr 15, 2000.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I may be totally frickin blind, but I am unable to find a filler cap for my '74's stock 12-bolt rear axle.

Found the one on the front, no problem, but the back one appears to me to be devoid of any extra holes & such.

Speaking of fluid changes and lube and stuff, my NP203 seems to have an L-shaped filler pipe up at the friggin top, where it's not real easy to get to. Is there another place I'm supposed to be looking?

Thanks all!

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Hey man. I can't help you with the transfer case since I'm blessed with an NP205 (hehe), but I CAN help with the 12 bolt. The filler plug is kind of on the upper passenger side of the housing. You kind of have to look at it from the side. And if memory serves, you'll need a 3/8 allen wrench to get it off. Good luck.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

On the NP203 the tube you're talking about is the breather tube. You're not supposed to fill it through there.

There's a square bolt on the rear of the case on the passenger side. You should fill it with grade 30 engine oil until it starts pouring out through that hole.

To empty the old oil, remove the skid plate and remove the lowest of the bolts that are in a circular pattern.

Hope this helps.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

4. dremu

Oh, you mean the thing that looks like a filler plug.

Ths face is flush with the side and I was feeling for it from behind, didn't think to LOOK. Doh.

However, it's a 3/8" SQUARE drive, and my 3/8" ratchet doesn't quite dig in deep enough... trip to the tool store is in order.

Thanks -- I *love* the Internet, I get free tech support ;-)

-- A

'77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

5. dremu

Ah. I found the breather tube; the l-shaped gizmo I saw originally would be a short extension somebody put on my filler cap, I would hazard a guess because they dorked the threads in the case or something ;-) Previous owners, grr.

In any event, cool; much appreciated. And should any other newbie be prepping their truck for the trail, check out

Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages, cuz he has all kindsa cool [censored] since he finally dumped AO-Hell and got a domain and stuff.

Thanks all!

-- A

'77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

6. dremu

And since I can't seem to find a SQUARE drive, err, bit (what IS the opposite of "socket"??) ... Sears, nope, Home Despot, nope, local Ace, nope, local (Post) tool place, natch. Nil, zippo, no luck.

Am I supposed to fab a 3/8" square L-bracket to get that fill plug out, or...?

-- A

'77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Thats right. The rear axle on a Jeep I used to own took an Allen wrench and the 12 bolt was a square drive. Almost forgot.
    Anyways, on mine I was able to use a 3 inch long, 3/8 socket extension for the fill plug. It fit fine. Could there be some dirt and grim filling that square hole? Try scraping it out with an awl and see if that helps...then try the socket extension.
    If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. I know they make square end bits (Robertson bits) but I'm pretty sure they don't go as large as 3/8.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ya, take a small screwdriver and dig the crap out of the opening, then use a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 3" extension to take it out. Hopefully its not too tight. The ratchet doesnt feel like it goes in far enough, but it will work.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>