Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt for a 1970 2wd with coils

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by juanblzer, Jan 5, 2005.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

-paul harvey voice-
    And now for the rest of the story...

Alright, as many of you know I have a blazer (using that term pretty loosley) that is pretty much a daily driver. Recently, I got my grandad's 2wd 1970 c-10 longbed running and it is now being used for winter duty (it's been raining and snowing pretty good up here).

To make a long story short, I was driving in a neighborhood looking at some houses for sale and I hear a big bang. I get out to see if it was merely a u-joint but to my horror gear oil is dumping everywhere and the pin? is sticking out of the rear diff cover. I don't have the time to tear into it or replace the gears etc. I don't have the money to spend a lot of dough on the rear axle.

My question:
    Does anyone have any leads on a complete rearend (from a junked c-10) that would bolt in. I don't want to weld or anything like that. I'm pretty much just wanting to bolt in a replacement axle. It has a t350 and coils in the rear.

Any leads?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I believe anything from 1964-1972 C10 Chevy's will bolt right in, but the overall width of the 71-72 axles is different from the 64-70 (I think the cut off was the same as front disc brakes?). Also look over at the 67-72 Chevy truck website.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it doesnt matter on width, anything 63 or whatever year coil rear started under gm trucks will work through 72(last year of coil rears)

half ton and 3/4 ton will work

70 up are wider yes but only 3/4 both sides longer, you wont notice it under the truck,

ratios were 3.07 3.73 and 4.11 through 72, 3./73 was base, 3.07 was with certain drivetrain combos and available optionally and 4.11 is basically rare and was included with three speed manual plus overdrive unit on trans tail end, cable operated

find a 2wd 63 or whatever through 72 with coil trailing arm rear and there yuo go,

swap drums and shafts if you find a 71 72 axle and want it to be 6 lug, use your 70 shafts and drums on the 71 72 axle,

poof done

should not have to give much over 50 or 75 for a peg leg 72 older coil rear axle theya re common and nothing special at all

and if you get damn lucky then you can happen across a gmc dana 44 rear or a dana 60 1/2 ton rear, but both are uncommon borderline rare, but you never know, and you can trust the dana axles alot more than the truck 12 bolt, as they have problems with bearings and leaking, unlike the danas

good luck

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Only problem is GMC went back to leaf springs in the 1/2 and 3/4 tons in '63 so those axles would require some welding to put in his truck. There were some Chevy & GMC's from 67-72 that were special ordered with Dana 44 rear and the coil spring set up though.