Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt gov lok

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudbogAD, May 2, 2002.

1. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

What happens when a gov lok dies? What are the symptoms? Is it the spider gears that blow or is it something else like the clutches? I just wanted to know because I have a 14ff waiting for my 12B to die. Thanks

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Well shortly before my 10 bolt Gov-Lok blew up it would completely lock up like a spool in the corners, and then release with a series of hard pops. I wouldn't wait for that axle to die though, when mine blew up, it did just that! The pin blew through the case and made a dent in my floor and my axles started to walk out of the tubes, I was only going 10-15MPH!! Any higher speed and I fear that someone could have died!! Not a fun experience and did I mention that it left me stranded for 3 days? If you have an axle to replace it with, don't wait.

3. bherring

bherring Registered Member

I agree. If you've got a 14bolt on hand, go ahead and swap it. With my govlock 12bolt, the clutch discs on either side got torn and twisted themselves out into the gears where they were chewed up, causing broken teeth and a big mess. I was in my driveway (heard bad noise and broke it on purpose). You don't want this to happen at highway speeds.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well adam, looks like the 14b ff you have sitting in my backyard is going in soon eh? i guess we should do that conversion at my house since it's here already.

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

That 14ff will go in soon. I guess I won't wait till it blows, it kinda sounds dangerous..Thanks for the replies. Scott, that conversion won't happen until I get a new ring and pinion for it. I'm thinking 5.13's.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

nice sig! you don't have 4.56s you have a 4.56 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and 5.13s???? don't bother with those until you get atleast 42"s!!! go 4.88 til then/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I'm not going to buy 4.88's and then 5.13's. I'm gonna buy one or the other. 5.13's and 39.5's are just about the same as 4.56's and 35's(RPM's at 65mph). I'll only get 5.13's if I get 39.5's. Otherwise I'll get 4.56's or 4.88's. Oh, got the steering column rebuilt and complete. It starts like brand new. Hope you get those tapes done soon so we can get back to the truck. Later Scott and all.